Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New Tank Question / Picture

Ok, so going for fw tank. Bought a 55g tank from someone that tried sw but failed and just wanted the tank gone. My question is, I love the stones and the "white" look of the tank but how will it do for a FW setup ?.

I'm thinking I should add some plants (probably plastic for upkeep until I get more used to this) for the fw fish and I have just started the cycle (fishless) so I have a few weeks to learn more before I select my fish (although I have to admit, I have seen a few of the "see through" fish and am facinated with them).

btw, I did change out the return line adapter and moved the return line from the filter up about 2" after this picture.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Is that LR or BR in the tank right now? Also looks like the tank might have crushed coral as a substrate, but I could be wrong.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #3

LR or BR ? as for the substrate....I'm thinking it "might be crushed coral. To me looks like small chunks of stones so you could be right.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #4

Ok, google is my friend. Live Rock or Base Rock (LR or BR). To be honest I'm not sure. The previous owner left the tank dry for a few months and I have just set it up and refilled it this past weekend.

I would love to leave the tank because I like the rock look but I don't think I have the time or energy for the sw setup. Can I use this substrate / rock set up for fw fish ?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

If it's crushed coral, it could have a detrimental effect on the pH of the tank, depending on what you want to keep in it.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahJ View Post
If it's crushed coral, it could have a detrimental effect on the pH of the tank, depending on what you want to keep in it.
I'm open to suggestions for the fish as long as I can stay fw. If it's going to be incredibly restrictive I might have to change it out.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix T Cat View Post
I'm open to suggestions for the fish as long as I can stay fw. If it's going to be incredibly restrictive I might have to change it out.
If its a 55 gallon tank, an african cichlid(mbuna, malawi, etc) setup may work with the CC.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by black hills tj View Post
If its a 55 gallon tank, an african cichlid(mbuna, malawi, etc) setup may work with the CC.
Ok, so it looks like I would be pretty restricted by the sub. If I changed out the sub and left the rocks.....think that might lower the levers enough to have a wider variety ?
Old 11-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

That would probably be alright, though I would get a pH test kit and maybe monitor to see if you need to pull the rocks out. If you want a cheap light colored substrate, I recommend going to your local pool supply store and getting a bag of pool filter sand.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Definitely consider keeping the rocks and substrate and just switch out the water to saltwater. It looks like a saltwater setup already. Salt is not as hard as people make it out to be.

Tags
picture, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com