New Tank Question / Picture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Felix T Cat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so going for fw tank. Bought a 55g tank from someone that tried sw but failed and just wanted the tank gone. My question is, I love the stones and the "white" look of the tank but how will it do for a FW setup ?.

I'm thinking I should add some plants (probably plastic for upkeep until I get more used to this) for the fw fish and I have just started the cycle (fishless) so I have a few weeks to learn more before I select my fish (although I have to admit, I have seen a few of the "see through" fish and am facinated with them).

btw, I did change out the return line adapter and moved the return line from the filter up about 2" after this picture.

55gTanksmall.jpg

LR or BR ? as for the substrate....I'm thinking it "might be crushed coral. To me looks like small chunks of stones so you could be right.

Ok, google is my friend. Live Rock or Base Rock (LR or BR). To be honest I'm not sure. The previous owner left the tank dry for a few months and I have just set it up and refilled it this past weekend.

I would love to leave the tank because I like the rock look but I don't think I have the time or energy for the sw setup. Can I use this substrate / rock set up for fw fish ?

If it's crushed coral, it could have a detrimental effect on the pH of the tank, depending on what you want to keep in it.

I'm open to suggestions for the fish as long as I can stay fw. If it's going to be incredibly restrictive I might have to change it out.

If its a 55 gallon tank, an african cichlid(mbuna, malawi, etc) setup may work with the CC.

Ok, so it looks like I would be pretty restricted by the sub. If I changed out the sub and left the rocks.....think that might lower the levers enough to have a wider variety ?

That would probably be alright, though I would get a pH test kit and maybe monitor to see if you need to pull the rocks out. If you want a cheap light colored substrate, I recommend going to your local pool supply store and getting a bag of pool filter sand.

Definitely consider keeping the rocks and substrate and just switch out the water to saltwater. It looks like a saltwater setup already. Salt is not as hard as people make it out to be.

Back
Top Bottom