new tank, some clown fish advice would be great

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshdeman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have just started a new salt water tank. And I will forewarn you I am new at this, but also very interested.

I have had live rock and water running in the tank for over a week and i add some hermit crabs and a clown fish about 5 days ago. The water seems to by pretty good, been taking regular water tests and nothing has came up.

The clown fish is always in the corner but i have heard that is normal for the first week or so.

The live rock i got seems to have a lot of flowers and plants growing on the sides, is this something i should be watching? i had an algae problem once in a tank and it spread like crazy, i hope this isnt the case.

As well, I bought this live rock with some green stuff on the bottom. I have no clue what it is, but i think it kinda looks cool, does any one have a clue what it is?

Thanks for reading, Any advice would be great. Like i said, i am new at this and would love to catch some things before they get bad.

Cheers,
Josh
Go Canucks Go

Attachments

• D2X_8942.jpg
    D2X_8942.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 156
  • D2X_8952.jpg
    D2X_8952.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 147
  • D2X_8968.jpg
    D2X_8968.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 164
  • D2X_8969.jpg
    D2X_8969.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 139
The rocks look like they came out of someones tank so you might not have had much of a cycle. What is your SG at and how are you measuring it?

I know it is usual for a clown to act unusual but you need to check on your ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites for the first few months of setting up a tank.

Welcome to the forum!!

I'd also be checking the levels constantly since this is a new setup and you didn't cycle per se. The live rock might have been enough to cycle, hard to tell without readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Are you testing the water yourself and what kind of test kit are you using if you do?

Beautiful fish by the way. :)

Hi everyone.
Thanks for the feed back is great. I have a testing kit and I've been testing my water daily. Below os what my readings were last night.
Kh 10
Ph 8.4
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Salinity .024
Any feed back is great! Thanks,
Josh

The tests look fine, other than there are no nitrates. Usually in a cycled tank you have some.

I would still check the ammonia frequently, just to be sure. At any sign of ammonia or nitrite you need to do a partial water change. :)

Keep us posted, I'm curious if you will see any nitrates soon.

weird algae and brown stuff on the sand

hi again,
so today when i went to check on my fish after work i noticed there is some green algae growing on the glass. Is this a bad thing? any way i can get rid of it? i have a magnetic scrubber but its cannot remove it. As well i noticed there are brownish spots on the live sand...
Is this something i should be worried about?
I am trying to think of thing it could be and the only thing that comes to mind is i have been adding this stability (new tank stabilization system) could that be the problem? the guy from the fish store said i should add it. I did a water test and its the same it was last night.
thanks in advance for all the help. I really appreciate it.
cheers,
josh

Attachments

• D2X_8971.jpg
    D2X_8971.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 120
  • D2X_8976.jpg
    D2X_8976.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 109
  • D2X_8975.jpg
    D2X_8975.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 109