New tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey I need some info on larger tetras. Right now I have a ten gallon tank, (soon to be thirty!) and have a rainbow shark, and a bleeding heart tetra. What would be some good schooling buddies for the tetra that are less likely to get eaten by the rainbow? I'm planning on getting about three more, and can be flexible as long as I don't overdo the bioload.

How about the black widow tetra? They get big enough not to be troubled and are quite cute

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I got one! His name is tigger and he gets along very well with the bleeding heart, and the two others that we got!

Excellent name! Yea I have a few in my tank and they are lovely. You might want to get another though as I believe they thrive better in groups.

I read an article that said they are relatives of the bleeding hearts, and would most likely school with them. I'm gonna give it a shot and see what I get. Plus, the other bleeding heart tetras at my LFS didn't look so good, so I decided to get a few different types. Some tetras do school with other tetras don't they?

Yes sounds good, they should be fine schooling with others to be honest but I tend to keep at least 2 of the same types together. Just something I do to be honest. Let me know how he gets on

They seem to be doing quite well. The rainbow is nipping a bit, but I think he's just trying to show the new fish who's boss.

Hey I need some info on larger tetras. Right now I have a ten gallon tank, (soon to be thirty!) and have a rainbow shark, and a bleeding heart tetra. What would be some good schooling buddies for the tetra that are less likely to get eaten by the rainbow? I'm planning on getting about three more, and can be flexible as long as I don't overdo the bioload.

Rainbow sharks can be aggressive towards smaller fish and many recommend keeping them with tankmates are of similar size. Even more importantly, they can grow to be 6 inches long and need a much bigger tank to thrive in then your little 10 gallon. As far as (all) Tetra are concerned, they are schooling fish and should be kept in groups (of their own kind) as they find comfort in numbers. Keeping one alone/in small numbers can cause them to become stressed and sometimes even aggressive. IMHO, I would never keep them in groups of less than 4 (of each type) and would highly recommend keeping them in groups of 6+

agreed with colaellensmom. the bigger the group of tetra, the nicer they look, in my 65 gal i used to have 9 bloodfin tetra, and 7 emperor tetra, which would school all day long and looked very nice, all with a rainbow shark in the tank with them.

I'm planning to upgrade when the shark gets bigger, and I've bought the tetra three friends and plan to get more when I get a bigger tank. The tetras aren't the same type but have already schooled, and the only reason I didn't get more bleeding hearts is because I checked the only two stores near me, and their selection didn't look to hot. And I'm planning on buying a thirty gallon for the upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom