new tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had an impulse buy today, which i don't usually do but I picked up 6 of these, they were labled as splash tetras. I was wondering if anyone has had any of these before or if you new of another name they went by. I know these pics aren't the best but maybe they will work.

Attachments

• 100_2641.jpg
    100_2641.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 188
  • 100_2636.jpg
    100_2636.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_2637.jpg
    100_2637.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 177
They are called splash tetras. They seem to like higher water temps. (77-84) and like flakes and brine shrimp. They work well with other cories and tetras.

Those don't look like splash tetras to me....They don't have the right finnage or coloration. They may be a different species but honestly those look like some species of betta....

But if those really are splash tetra congrats. Really neat fish. They have the coolest reproductive method out there.

edit: After some thinking I am convinced they are not splash tetras. The nerve of some lfs these days...

You were probably sold betta sp. or sparkling gouramis by the looks of it.. definitely not splash tetras.

I'm leaning toward sparkling gourami. But really a lot of anabantoids look alike. There's probably some betta sp. strain out there that looks sorta like that.

There's one factor in determining whether these were sparklings or betta sp. Most rarely imported bettas or bettas that aren't betta splendens are going to run over 8 bucks a pop. If your fish were for less than 3 bucks each they are probably sparklings.

Well...I think we have a winner lol. At least you didn't get ripped on a price. I can't really tell you what they are like. I've only seen them in pictures/books. So I'm pretty sure someone else can shed some light on these little guys.

mom2reds said:
I had an impulse buy today, which i don't usually do but I picked up 6 of these, they were labled as splash tetras. I was wondering if anyone has had any of these before or if you new of another name they went by. I know these pics aren't the best but maybe they will work.

If the males have a black spot on dorsal fin then indeed they are splash tetras they look well good, awesome buy... impulse buying fish where tetras are concerned always good, bad with plecs lol:)

Back
Top Bottom