Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welll, 4 out of 12 fish survived the first 24 hours ;(
I got a refund though!

Old 02-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry you lost them, but you're very lucky to have gotten a refund when they were left out in the cold.

IME threadfins ship great. I had mine shipped from GA to OR during pretty chilly weather and never lost one. If you try more you may want to get from someone who keeps them in water similar to yours. Severum and HN1 sell them, so you could inquire on the type of water they are kept in. Bobstropicalplants.com also has a really awesome deal on them.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva
Sorry you lost them, but you're very lucky to have gotten a refund when they were left out in the cold.

IME threadfins ship great. I had mine shipped from GA to OR during pretty chilly weather and never lost one. If you try more you may want to get from someone who keeps them in water similar to yours. Severum and HN1 sell them, so you could inquire on the type of water they are kept in. Bobstropicalplants.com also has a really awesome deal on them.
They were not left out in the cold- I got the package right from the delivery man's hands, and the water was chilly, and I think that's what caused the high number of DOAs.
Which was surprising since I got them from Bob's Tropical Plants. I agree, they have a very good deal and that's exactly why I ordered them- $2 each! That's incredibly cheap. But I'll have to wait until the spring to make another order, i don't want to risk DOAs again. I recently got an order of rams, and the box arrived warm- 2 heatpacks were used compared to the usual single. Maybe I should ask for 2 packs during cold weather....

Agreed, I always ask about what the sellers' water is. I have yet to find a seller with liquid rock and ph 8.6. That's actually why I have not ordered from severum mama yet, since her water is the opposite of mine.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

OH I misunderstood and thought the box was sitting at your front door! I couldn't believe that price either...crazy low. I've got several shipments this month and have had hardly any DOA's. What his box styro lined?

8.6..wow.. What kind of rams did you get?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva
OH I misunderstood and thought the box was sitting at your front door! I couldn't believe that price either...crazy low. I've got several shipments this month and have had hardly any DOA's. What his box styro lined?

8.6..wow.. What kind of rams did you get?
Oh that's ok Yes the box was styro lined, I have no idea why the water got so cold. But the weather around here was below freezing, and perhaps the delivery truck was cold? Or it might not be the temperature that hurt them? I can imagine a bag of dead fish can foul the water more quickly than when they were alive. But the other livestock, a nerite snail, was also DOA, which leads me to conclude the package just got too cold. Could the size of the package vs. the insulation inside be a cause? I think the package was pretty roomy for such small bags of fish.

I would love to try threadfins from Bob's again, because of the super low price which is awfully tempting....should I???? If i wait for spring, shipping will be cheaper. If I wait, the deal might go away!

I know, my water is crazy. I think only cichlid sellers have my kind of water!

I got 5 bolivians from apistofishguys. I would certainly not try GBRs as my first ram, considering my water!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

haha yeah I was thinking..yikes..probably won't work for blues and golds!

I'm going to PM you in a minute about some other stuff.

Tags
fins

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com