Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New Threadfins

11 threadfins arrived today.... Too bad I'm not home, busy cramming for an exam that will start in 1 hour! Oh well. At least I have a big package of plants and my first rainbows to look forward to. I can't ask for anything better to wind down after an exam. Actually... Maybe Indian or Korean food would work too

Old 02-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Very cool!! Agreed, nothing could be better!!!

Good luck on the exam! After finals week...i know the feeling!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66
Very cool!! Agreed, nothing could be better!!!

Good luck on the exam! After finals week...i know the feeling!
Errmmm..... I should stop procrastinating on AA

thanks for the luck! Organic chem is certainly not my forte. Stay tuned for pictures! I sure hope they're all alive haha!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hahahah! You can do this!

Hey, they made it in a moving plane/van right? They should be happy on your welcome mat! I sure hope you have a welcome mat lol
Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
Hahahah! You can do this!

Hey, they made it in a moving plane/van right? They should be happy on your welcome mat! I sure hope you have a welcome mat lol
I do have a welcome mat, that says "Welcome"

Well.... the fish were COLD. My roommate took the temperature of the water in the shipping bags before acclimating them, and the water was at 68 degrees. And some of the fish are not swimming well/acting normally, it's very sad! At least I know now that 72 hr heat packs don't necessarily create lots of heat for a full 72 hrs. And I think I'll avoid ordering fish in the winter in general.

Poo!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysapha

I do have a welcome mat, that says "Welcome"

Well.... the fish were COLD. My roommate took the temperature of the water in the shipping bags before acclimating them, and the water was at 68 degrees. And some of the fish are not swimming well/acting normally, it's very sad! At least I know now that 72 hr heat packs don't necessarily create lots of heat for a full 72 hrs. And I think I'll avoid ordering fish in the winter in general.

Poo!
At least they knew they were going to a welcoming tank! lol

Ah darn! Drip them for A LONG time. Like forever! lol. The temp goig from 68-78 in a couple hours wontbdo them any favors!!

Good luck! Winter sucks!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
At least they knew they were going to a welcoming tank! lol

Ah darn! Drip them for A LONG time. Like forever! lol. The temp goig from 68-78 in a couple hours wontbdo them any favors!!

Good luck! Winter sucks!
Thanks for the kind words Yes, I will be up past my bedtime tonight....
Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

Thanks for the kind words Yes, I will be up past my bedtime tonight....
No problem! I hope they perk up a bit! At least you'll be relaxing though..

Speaking of which, how was the exam?
Old 02-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It was a fair exam, but unfortunately what I emphasized in my studying was not emphasized on the exam! Yknow, as long as i passed that exam I will be pleased. This course is required, and Im so close to completing graduation requirements! I just need to pass this one!!!!

Tell me, is acclimating fish over 6 hours effective? Because that's what I did last night!
My justification:
The fish looked really pitiful when they arrived. The breeder has soft acidic water, whereas mine is liquid rock with a ph of 8.6. On top of that, threads are already considered sensitive during transit/acclimation!

I usually drip acclimate over 3 hours, but given the circumstances, and the fact that I needed to sleep, I acclimated over 6 hours, dumping the accumulated water and speeding up the drip every 2 hours.
So, the temperature went up 12 degrees in 6 hours- reasonable, I think.

Was this process dragged out too long, though? Did it do more harm than good?

I have a feeling most of them won't survive the first 48 hrs... Poor things. They've had a rough week.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
It was a fair exam, but unfortunately what I emphasized in my studying was not emphasized on the exam! Yknow, as long as i passed that exam I will be pleased. This course is required, and Im so close to completing graduation requirements! I just need to pass this one!!!!

Tell me, is acclimating fish over 6 hours effective? Because that's what I did last night!
My justification:
The fish looked really pitiful when they arrived. The breeder has soft acidic water, whereas mine is liquid rock with a ph of 8.6. On top of that, threads are already considered sensitive during transit/acclimation!

I usually drip acclimate over 3 hours, but given the circumstances, and the fact that I needed to sleep, I acclimated over 6 hours, dumping the accumulated water and speeding up the drip every 2 hours.
So, the temperature went up 12 degrees in 6 hours- reasonable, I think.

Was this process dragged out too long, though? Did it do more harm than good?

I have a feeling most of them won't survive the first 48 hrs... Poor things. They've had a rough week.
Great! Im hoping for you!

Given the circumstances..i dont think it could hurt. I mean, pulling up the temp that much in 3 hours wouldnt have helped AT ALL. you did the right thing IMO

Thats such a bummer, im so sorry. Lets hope they can all pull through

Tags
fins

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com