New to fishkeeping help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ViPz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys n gals, I have just bought a new 27ltr tank and filled with 6 harlequin rasbora. In 5 weeks time I will go to buy sommelier more fish, what are the best most exotic colourful fish I can put in there, something like the Siamese fighter but more compatible, please give me names of easily available species in the uk, much appreciated!!

Mumma.of.two said:
Hi welcome to AA!
27L is 7us gallons (for all the Americans on the site).
With 6 harlequins you are about stocked IMO. If you where looking for a single fish you might be able to get away with a Betta. What are the dimensions of the tank?
How did you cycle?
Please read this.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/131/1/Guide-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

Hi, thanks for coming back to me!
I did a fishless cycle, using aqua safe and stresszyme? Sorry am new to all of this but I did a little reading before I got my fish.
I put the second dose of stresszyme today when I bought the fish, on day 7 of having the tank up and running. There is a cluster of females and only one male from what I can work out, but he stays seperate from the clan of females, is this normal?
Guy in the shop said I could get about 10 small fish in there, or maybe one big and a school of small, jus wonder ing which other fish I can put in there?

ViPz said:
Hi, thanks for coming back to me!
I did a fishless cycle, using aqua safe and stresszyme? Sorry am new to all of this but I did a little reading before I got my fish.
I put the second dose of stresszyme today when I bought the fish, on day 7 of having the tank up and running. There is a cluster of females and only one male from what I can work out, but he stays seperate from the clan of females, is this normal?
Guy in the shop said I could get about 10 small fish in there, or maybe one big and a school of small, jus wonder ing which other fish I can put in there?

Did you add an ammonia source at all? Letting a tank sit with Stresszyme for a week is not cycling. The bacteria needed for a cycle feed on ammonia produced by fish. The day you added your fish was the day the tank started to cycle. You are now doing a fish in cycle, which is ok, and need to do daily water changes and testing in order to keep your fish healthy and safe.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
Please read and follow this guide.

What are the dimensions of your tank? I have a 27L cube which is suitable for a Betta because it is not a wide tank. If the tank is long/wide it will give you more options in fish.

Thanks, also gave them their first feed today only putting a few flakes into the water but they seem to miss them and only a purple got eaten? Any ideas?

ViPz said:
Thanks, also gave them their first feed today only putting a few flakes into the water but they seem to miss them and only a purple got eaten? Any ideas?

Not purple, I meant a couple

ViPz said:
Thanks, also gave them their first feed today only putting a few flakes into the water but they seem to miss them and only a couple got eaten? Any ideas?

Only feed what they will eat to avoid left over food. If they don't eat what you offer, feed them less next time. Fish only have tiny stomachs so they don't need much food. Use a gravel vacuum to remove uneaten food. If left it will add to the ammonia that rising in a cycling tank.

Back
Top Bottom