New to forum but not to fish keeping new 125gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Handinthesand

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well I am pretty excited about this forum! I just bought a new 125 gallon tank that I am setting up for fresh water. Two pumps for the setup a fluval 306 and a fluval 406 with a back up 306, two fluval led plant and aquatic lights. Two 250 watt nonglass heaters. Substrate will be a mixture of gravel and sand. I have lots of wood and plants for the tank. I'm going for Discus this go around with Corys, German Rams, a Pleco and Cardinal Tetras. Ideas on other fish would be great. The pumps have been running moss and other goodies in the filters. Any ideas on them would be appreciated.

Hope this is a good first post, looking forward to meeting the everyone.

Robert

Last edited:
Great to see new faces!

I'm sure as you say you have experience you have done endless amount of research on discus because they can be very tricky :p

Gotta ask.. Why the pleco? Unless it's just a personal liking of the species they have no benefits than pooping everywhere.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have done a good bit of research on discus, hopefully enough. My father has kept them for over ten years so hopefully I will have the same success. I have had this albino Pleco for a long time and he is kinda like my buddy so I figured I'd put him in my feature tank.

Nice to meet you too by the way.

Guess I could have talked about my other tanks, a 46 gallon bow and a 20 gallon.

Do you already have the fluval lights? I have the 24 inch version and it is good for green plants but if you start "chasing reds" it isn't that good.

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, I have two fluval p36 lights and 1 m36 light. Wonder why their spectrum doesn't help every plant? I wonder if I should use all three lights if it would help. I have them on a timer, they are on for 16 hours and off for 8.

16 hours is a very long time unless you want algae, I run 8.5 hours.
I think they are just not strong enough to chase reds. No PAR data is available and fluval doesn't find it necessary to test for PAR. That's just what I have gathered through online research.

Which led lighting setup would you recommend? And I can change the time in which they turn on. I usually get up around 7 am and go to bed around 10:30 pm, this is what I have the timer setup for. I like to look at them throughout the day so I'm not sure when I would like the lights off.

Get an aftermarket timer, i use a woods digital. Set it to turn tank lighting on when it suits me:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The light depends on how high tech you want to go. Low light plants like anubias, java fern, crypts, and amazon sword a should do fine under the fluval light. Higher tech means better lights, not sure which one though, but I'm sure others here can help you out.

Okay thank you guys, I have the lights on one of those old timers. I didn't know they had digital ones. I guess the benefit would be you could select multiple times for it to come off and on.

Back
Top Bottom