New to me 125 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawnryan1977

Aquarium Advice Activist
This was a great deal that I couldn’t pass up. The person that owned this was moving into a small house and did not want this size of tank so I offered to trade them a 29 gallon setup I had just set-up, I sent them a picture and they loved it and agreed to the trade. This is the first big tank I have ever had; the biggest I have had so far is a 55 gallon. I am conflicted on what I am going to put in it, I am strongly leaning toward another planted tank with Angels but I have always wanted to set-up an African Cichlid tank. I have a few months till I have enough money to set it up so it is going to be a hard decision.

Attachments

• 125.jpg
    125.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 91
ooo i think african cichlid is a great idea, as you have so much space. seems to be a species you cannot keep in a smaller space. although to be honest anything in a tank that big is sure to look impressive! put some pics up when you decide

Great pick up. I also say go SW but I dont think that was one of the choices. LOL

I would love to make this a saltwater tank but my budget isn’t that big and the saltwater selection in my area is limited there is one store that has salt but they are bit pricey. Like I said it is going to be a hard decision. I can get cichlids for almost nothing since I know allot people who breed them and I can get allot of starter plants from my own tanks or Friends. My only real cost for this tank will be filters, heaters and lights

My stepdad has two cichlid-exclusive tanks, a 55 and a 125. Let me tell you, I have never seen more entertaining tanks. There are about half a dozen fish in the 125 that have their own names, territories, and weird quirks. Talk about personality. Plus, think about all the color they would bring to the tank! Soooo many different varieties... I'm starting to wonder if I should have done cichlids with my 125...

Cichlids would be a great choice for your new tank, I have a tank very similar to that one with oscars and african cichlids of varying species. If you have the filtration you can run a bunch of them together. They do quite well in large numbers. Just add lots of spaces for them to hide in.

although, planted + discus would be awesome!

i say u should get african cichlids. They are great beutiful fish. in my 75 gal im going to make it a african cichlid tank with 1 or 2 elaphant noses and some other african species

Congrats on the new tank! :D

If it were mine... I'd do a lake tanganyika tank with a nice big school of cyps or a planted altum tank.

bmg- be careful mixing rift lake fish with African riverine fish. Their preferred water conditions and diets are quite different and I'd hate for you to waste money and effort.

Congrats on the new tank! :D

If it were mine... I'd do a lake tanganyika tank with a nice big school of cyps or a planted altum tank.

bmg- be careful mixing rift lake fish with African riverine fish. Their preferred water conditions and diets are quite different and I'd hate for you to waste money and effort.
I already have 55 gallon Lake Tanganyika tank set-up it has 8 Synodontis Petricola and about 10 adult Neolamprologus Pulcher and a ton of babies. I really am leaning toward a planted tank but I can’t make up what type of fish to put in it. I know someone who breeds Discus and could get them for almost nothing; a planted Discus tank is very very tempting also. I know allot people who breed a wide variety of fish through the Aquarium Society that I belong to so there are allot of temptations since I can get allot of cool fish for almost nothing. Thanks everybody for your suggestions but with a few months to think about my set-up I seem to waver back and forth all time on what I want.

I already have 55 gallon Lake Tanganyika tank set-up it has 8 Synodontis Petricola and about 10 adult Neolamprologus Pulcher and a ton of babies. I really am leaning toward a planted tank but I can’t make up what type of fish to put in it. I know someone who breeds Discus and could get them for almost nothing; a planted Discus tank is very very tempting also. I know allot people who breed a wide variety of fish through the Aquarium Society that I belong to so there are allot of temptations since I can get allot of cool fish for almost nothing. Thanks everybody for your suggestions but with a few months to think about my set-up I seem to waver back and forth all time on what I want.

Start planting first, pick your fish later. Hahaha

Ok.... I'm officially jealous! :p

Back
Top Bottom