Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

i also would go planted with angles or discus. Nice tank.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My stepdad has two cichlid-exclusive tanks, a 55 and a 125. Let me tell you, I have never seen more entertaining tanks. There are about half a dozen fish in the 125 that have their own names, territories, and weird quirks. Talk about personality. Plus, think about all the color they would bring to the tank! Soooo many different varieties... I'm starting to wonder if I should have done cichlids with my 125...

Old 05-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Cichlids would be a great choice for your new tank, I have a tank very similar to that one with oscars and african cichlids of varying species. If you have the filtration you can run a bunch of them together. They do quite well in large numbers. Just add lots of spaces for them to hide in.

although, planted + discus would be awesome!
Old 05-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnryan1977 View Post
......I am strongly leaning toward another planted tank with Angels but I have always wanted to set-up an African Cichlid tank. ......
Who says it has to be on or the other? How about a mixture of the two options:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=12270&catid=member&imageuser=6756
Old 06-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

i say u should get african cichlids. They are great beutiful fish. in my 75 gal im going to make it a african cichlid tank with 1 or 2 elaphant noses and some other african species
Old 06-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #16
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats on the new tank!

If it were mine... I'd do a lake tanganyika tank with a nice big school of cyps or a planted altum tank.

bmg- be careful mixing rift lake fish with African riverine fish. Their preferred water conditions and diets are quite different and I'd hate for you to waste money and effort.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparKy697 View Post
Who says it has to be on or the other? How about a mixture of the two options:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=12270&catid=member&imageuser=6756
Sparky beat me to it. Travis Simonson is the god of freshwater.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Congrats on the new tank!

If it were mine... I'd do a lake tanganyika tank with a nice big school of cyps or a planted altum tank.

bmg- be careful mixing rift lake fish with African riverine fish. Their preferred water conditions and diets are quite different and I'd hate for you to waste money and effort.
I already have 55 gallon Lake Tanganyika tank set-up it has 8 Synodontis Petricola and about 10 adult Neolamprologus Pulcher and a ton of babies. I really am leaning toward a planted tank but I canít make up what type of fish to put in it. I know someone who breeds Discus and could get them for almost nothing; a planted Discus tank is very very tempting also. I know allot people who breed a wide variety of fish through the Aquarium Society that I belong to so there are allot of temptations since I can get allot of cool fish for almost nothing. Thanks everybody for your suggestions but with a few months to think about my set-up I seem to waver back and forth all time on what I want.
shawnryan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Quote:
I already have 55 gallon Lake Tanganyika tank set-up it has 8 Synodontis Petricola and about 10 adult Neolamprologus Pulcher and a ton of babies. I really am leaning toward a planted tank but I canít make up what type of fish to put in it. I know someone who breeds Discus and could get them for almost nothing; a planted Discus tank is very very tempting also. I know allot people who breed a wide variety of fish through the Aquarium Society that I belong to so there are allot of temptations since I can get allot of cool fish for almost nothing. Thanks everybody for your suggestions but with a few months to think about my set-up I seem to waver back and forth all time on what I want.
Start planting first, pick your fish later. Hahaha

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok.... I'm officially jealous! :p

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com