New (to me) Marineland 60 Gal Tall Aquarium Set-Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to go with a light brown playsand as substrate. It's a large grain sand with alot of small pebbles mixed in. I'll get some more pics when I get my canopy in and get the lights installed. Hopefully it all comes together more smoothly than my plant mistakes!!

What are yall's thoughts on using an egg crate under the rocks and sand to help distribute the weight of the rocks along the bottom glass of the aquarium?

might wanna think twice about play sand. you will probably regret getting it if you do. It will cloud up horribly, then you'll have to worry about it getting in the filter, not to mention the fact that it can have gas pockets build up and kill your fish. Pool Filter Sand is a much better route to take. It looks just like playsand, but doesnt pack down like the play sand. Also super easy to take care of as the grains are heavy enough that even when doing a deep gravel vac, wont suck up in the hose. Just my opinion, i made the same mistake once.

Zinc screws and rocks

I realize this thread is old but other's may run into it as I did while searching.

Re: Zinc screws. The only safe ones are stainless steal, or old iron (without any metal alloys)... zinc is toxic to fish. (it may be too small of an amount by why add something that will harm in the end). I use (for years) those drywall types which will get rusty with iron which is not harmful...

I use slate as a base for driftwood or old plastic milk crates. (use hot knife so on to "cut" and shape to hold wood)... (suction cups if need be)... I've done tons of wood this way and you can float them down off side of glass with suction cups (buy heater suction cups things, can bend gently with heat - take out suction cup first..)

With slate you can better control your eventual hardness, ph.

The tiles under the small Driftwood pieces are unglazed travertine and I used small zinc plated screws to attach. Will I be ok using these? I read that the travertine was similar to Texas holey rock in that it'll boost your pH a little. Correct?

I don't know if the OP went ahead with his tank plan or not, but I wouldn't put non-specified fake plants or rocks in a tank...they may be cheaper from Michaels than at pet shops (and Michaels has some nice plants -- we have a few in our home) but they're not supposed to be used in fish tanks...same with the rocks you just "find" outdoors and such...

For a tank that nice, why skimp on flora -- especially if it's fake?

Rocks Plants

Osage... lol, IF one has a Michaels... (I wish, got two small water fountain pumps one when visiting my mom in Oregon long ago) I used them in aquariums when creating a falls over rocks.

Although I would agree if one has no idea what type of rocks "are in one's yard" then best if in question not to use them...

That said...

I use rocks I find all the time but then I know what type they are (geology for a few years along with much biology and other sciences) or one can find out by doing a bit of research into the area and geology. (lots of information on line now... I used to go to natural history museums - and their staff is always helpful in identification then it's easy to know if the rock is safe or not)... any from most rivers are suitable for fresh water aquariums.

NYC state, granite mostly and variations of it... (as well I have a background in ceramics clays so on (decades of) and chemistry of ceramics where we learned about river systems as that is how various clays are formed (erosion of different rock formations).

I found great granite on the local beaches (Montauk) here as well - unfortunately after I paid a lot for some at a local rock landscaping yard... and much more attractive.

I always feel fake plants are good for hospital tanks and real ones vital for the biology of the aquarium (absorb wastes, contribute oxygen and allow for micro bugs that fish can pick on). But fake better then bare as most fish feel much more secure... (unless that is their biotype)

Well got an email but thread old so we will never know how the tank turned out! lol

Hello azure,

I see I wasn't the first to reply in this old thread! I didn't realize how old it was until I saw your post...

I used to live in New York -- you're upstate?

Osage... lol, IF one has a Michaels... (I wish, got two small water fountain pumps one when visiting my mom in Oregon long ago) I used them in aquariums when creating a falls over rocks.

There are plenty of Michaels out here; great stuff for inside a house, too. We have a ton of plants around the house (fake) that came from Michaels.

Although I would agree if one has no idea what type of rocks "are in one's yard" then best if in question not to use them...

That said...

I use rocks I find all the time but then I know what type they are (geology for a few years along with much biology and other sciences) or one can find out by doing a bit of research into the area and geology. (lots of information on line now... I used to go to natural history museums - and their staff is always helpful in identification then it's easy to know if the rock is safe or not)... any from most rivers are suitable for fresh water aquariums.

Fair enough; being that it's your apparent background, I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt here -- I just personally wouldn't drop any "ornament" into a tank that came from outside; there's something that just concerns me about it...

NYC state, granite mostly and variations of it... (as well I have a background in ceramics clays so on (decades of) and chemistry of ceramics where we learned about river systems as that is how various clays are formed (erosion of different rock formations).

I found great granite on the local beaches (Montauk) here as well - unfortunately after I paid a lot for some at a local rock landscaping yard... and much more attractive.

So, you're on the Island? I'm originally from Atlantic Beach!

I always feel fake plants are good for hospital tanks and real ones vital for the biology of the aquarium (absorb wastes, contribute oxygen and allow for micro bugs that fish can pick on). But fake better then bare as most fish feel much more secure... (unless that is their biotype)

Perhaps, but I am just not of the camp that can endure the extra care plants need -- I can barely keep up with the fish's health! That said, I am keeping fancy goldfish, and that's a recipe for disaster with real plants anyway.

Well got an email but thread old so we will never know how the tank turned out! lol

I suppose not; I have found on all forums, no matter the topic or hobby, most people don't even return to their original post ever again to comment. I find it so...weird.

Well (LOL) Osage - first sorry took so long to reply (email removed) as this IS an older thread...

I raised goldies as a kid - sold to local outlet (long before shipping crxp from overseas)... they need vegetable matter in their diet and have a unique digestive system) Like Japanese - who have longer torso's (lived there many years ago) and that's because their intestines is actually longer then the rest of us... to digest/metabolize all those vegetables and carbs (historically speaking).

I would get "cheap" plants like Anacharis - they love them and need them as well.

when you have a well balanced aquarium (ie real live plants, lol) it - the maintenances becomes much easier - you have got to trust me on that!

Please email so we can follow up if interested.

(and I can send my photos to boot).

Best Sherry

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom