New/Used 120g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonomakid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bought this 120g talltoday off of CL, it came with 2 marineland magnum 350 canister filters, glass tops, stand, all kinds of decor 2 oscars 2 jacks dempseys and a lobster or crey fish for 300 bucks.

2d291e9.jpg

More pics to come has i get it cleaned and what else i want done to it

Sounds like a good deal to me. I'm jealous.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Ok, so after a night of thinking about what i was doing with this tank i am torn between a planted tank and a mbuna tank. i would like to try something new but i guess it really will depend on the cost of intial setup. Your opinions and suggestions would be great.

A planted tank will, of course, cost more, both for equipment (lighting), as well as the plants, and possibly substrate.. A mbuna tank only requires some substrate (most any type will do) and rocks.

Well that is the whole thing, i have a mbuna that this would be replacing. I have the lighting it just the fact of 200 + more dollars just to have plants. As much as i wanna try something new i cant see spending that much for plants when i could spend that and stock my tank like nobodys business.

Well that is the whole thing, i have a mbuna that this would be replacing. I have the lighting it just the fact of 200 + more dollars just to have plants. As much as i wanna try something new i cant see spending that much for plants when i could spend that and stock my tank like nobodys business.

If you're not in a hurry I don't think you will have to spend all that money (especially if you already have the lighting and aren't planning on using CO2). You can start out with just 1 sample of each type of plant you want to keep and allow them to grow to where you can get new plantings. Right now that's what I'm doing with the anacharis I bought awhile ago for my 29 gallon tank. At this point I don't think I'll ever need to buy anymore anacharis and I've already started transferring some of the new growth into my 60 gallon tank. Of course, like I said it will take time.

The main reason I recommended a planted tank was because you already had a mbuna tank. Just thought a change of pace would add some fun/beauty to your tank keeping experience.

Tried a low tech planted tank last year, needless to say it didnt work out. that and money into something that i dont know i can do well kinda of scary, I mean if i threw that much money at something and it didnt work i would be sick, that and i think the mbuna would like a new home in a tank 2x the size of what they have now, maybe it would be a little less money to try on a 55 and see if i can do it 1st.

hmmm, beautiful plants, or beautiful fish, why not both? it can be done..lol. boy that is tough, i would africanize it and plant a little smaller tank to start

Back
Top Bottom