New Wild Caught Cardinals!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! i just went into big als to get a new bowl/tank for my betta (as the crystal one he was in managed to crack and ruin my desk / carpet)

and i saw these cardinals... I've been slowly losing neons due to old age and an over eager rainbow (who doesn't eat them... he just THINKS they're food for some reason)

Anywho, i got them acclimated to the water, and now they're in. the first thing they do? School with my 3 remaining neons! Its so cute!

Attached is a blurry, but recognisable photo :p

(the 2 in the center or neons... the rest are cardinals... They're much more colorful!

Attachments

• dscn2225_471.jpg
    dscn2225_471.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 57
Yeah! Wild caught were the same price as tank bred cardinals... 3 for 10 bucks. So i bought 9. THough i think i may have got ripped offf... I can only find 8. I should have counted before i left the store.

sorry for the dumb question but i'm new at this... i thought tank bred cardinals were hardier than wild caught?

From what i understand, They are more hardy to condition changes. I.e. If the PH is different then their native form, temps, etc.

Wild caught are less prone to genetic defects, as there is little or no inbreeding. They also tend to have more vibrant colors. Some argue they are harder to keep alive. But seeing the difference in color/shape/body of the two (tank bred and wild caught) I would definately count the slightly more difficult to keep wild caught ones.

They were the same price... normally wild caught is more expensive.

gotcha... i just bought 6 tank bred cardinals from big al's in north toronto. i didn't even see if they had wild caught.

Back
Top Bottom