Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2018, 06:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

new yoyo loach owner

I was at my local Petco and saw a fish I have never seen before . I asked the what these were and was told they were zebra loaches . I bought 2 and got them home.
After doing some research , I found that these were not zebra loaches but Yoyo loaches . ( not that it matters to me )
I just love these little guys , very active and curious . What I find odd is I see them going about my plants like a algae eater . Is this common ?
They are just so cute and happy I got them .
I would like to hear from anyone who owns these . While I have googles these fish and their care , hearing from real owners would be a plus . Tips , tricks , experiences and so forth would be appreciated .
Thanks in advance .

Old 01-31-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi, I've kept these for a long while now and love their loachy antics. Be careful as I've lost quite a few young ones from jumping. They are very curious and do best in say a group of 3 to 5 but 2 does work. Never really had them bother fish (although do annoy them!) and I think they were just investigating your plants for any snails.

My older ones can be found sleeping upside down in the morning.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Hi, I've kept these for a long while now and love their loachy antics. Be careful as I've lost quite a few young ones from jumping. They are very curious and do best in say a group of 3 to 5 but 2 does work. Never really had them bother fish (although do annoy them!) and I think they were just investigating your plants for any snails.

My older ones can be found sleeping upside down in the morning.
sleeping upside down ! wow that is cool only had mine for a few days now and they are only a little over a inch long . hoping to keep these guys for quite some time . They are really interesting to watch , kinda like a clown loach on steroids LOL .
So what do you feed your loaches ? they got any favorite foods ?
Old 01-31-2018, 11:19 PM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Anything really on feed - I'll see if I can find the photo. I feed pellets now. Fun to watch them doing laps and figure eights.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:35 AM   #5
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Found one shot. New from shop.

Top yo-yo was actually asleep but eventually got woken up by other one.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

update , could not resist so I got one more yoyo loach , Now they all just having a blast togeather . Fun to just watch them do their loach antics
I found that they really go after Hikari Tropical Sinking Wafers. They just go nuts over them . Even my single GB ram will pick at them , but He is like mikey , he will eat anything ! LOL
Old 02-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Definitely stars of the tank
Old 02-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
update , could not resist so I got one more yoyo loach , Now they all just having a blast togeather . Fun to just watch them do their loach antics
I found that they really go after Hikari Tropical Sinking Wafers. They just go nuts over them . Even my single GB ram will pick at them , but He is like mikey , he will eat anything ! LOL
Words of wisdom - they will jump out. I had a few in an open topped tank. Lets say I now have none.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunamanphd View Post
Words of wisdom - they will jump out. I had a few in an open topped tank. Lets say I now have none.
not that I do not believe what your saying but, so far no issues , but I appreciate the info .
Old 02-13-2018, 03:49 AM   #10
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunamanphd View Post

Same here - too curious. Fine for months and then ....

Tags
loach

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com