The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its probably hiding in the log somewhere. my wife told me i needed an algae eater. so i got an algae eater.

im keeping the 55. i actually plan to have a few tanks. any free tank i can come across, im going to put in use. and the larger, the better. ive always had dogs or cats. never fish and as far as im concerned, its eat or be eaten with fish. not trying to be cruel.

Jtuner119 said:
im keeping the 55. i actually plan to have a few tanks. any free tank i can come across, im going to put in use. and the larger, the better. ive always had dogs or cats. never fish and as far as im concerned, its eat or be eaten with fish. not trying to be cruel.

That's understandable but when we are the ones putting them in the tanks, we are the ones responsible for their health and well-being. I mean we wouldn't put four dogs in a small room and let them compete for space and food would we. It's like any pet ownership. We need to provide them with all their needs to the best of our ability. IMO they are no different to a cat or a dog. They are still living creatures in our care.

Ok. Thanks for the advice but I don't need the lecture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mumma.of.two said:
I wouldn't have added any more fish to that tank. It is highly overstocked as it is with high waste producing fish. The pleco will now be adding to an ever increasing bioload. Have you still got plans to upgrade very soon? The brown algae you are seeing is called diatoms. It is very common in the first few months of a newly setup tank. You shouldn't buy a fish to eat it because it will go away after a few months on its own. After it is gone you will have to supplement the food if the pleco more often. Is it a common pleco or a bristlenose?

I have to say it, she's right on the money. The common pleco is a waste factory and get huge 24"+ ;). It needs to be taken back, a good alternative is a bristle nose pleco. So it seems you have a, green terror, oscar, convict, and a jack dempsey, correct?. Have you researched these fish, tank size/aggression, stuff like that? Or did you before you bought them?

Also, what are your water parameters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jtuner119 said:
The fact is I'm already taking care of the fish

Based on what you have provided so far, I would say the fact is you are definitely not taking care of the fish. Any experienced fish keeper would tell you what you have going there and your strategy is destined for failure. Members have provided you sound advice, in a pretty gentle way, truth be told.

i have two convicts that were given to me. i wanted a dempsey and the gt just seemed like a good match. i've read about all the fish i have and i know i need a bigger tank. i dont know how many times i have to say that i do plan to get a larger tank. as for the water, the temp is at 75 degrees. i change 1/3 of the water once a week and do water tests constantly. at first i had high nitrates and nitrites. but for the past 2 weeks its been 0's. as for the pleco, its no where to be found. and the oscar was for my wife. i knew it was too much for the tank but you know what they say...... oh well.

Can we have the actual numbers? ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?
And you said all were zero, nitrates shouldn't be zero, they should be preferably <20.

why does it feel like you're just looking for something to correct. im only looking for constructive and friendly criticisms. if i have offended you. dont bother to reply. i might just delete this forum. i started this to get advise and not have to defend my self. dont make me lose interest in the fish.

im only looking for constructive and friendly criticisms.

From what I can see, this is what folks have been trying to provide. It isn't just about water quality - it is about the behaviors & mannerisms of the fish you have chosen and the space they need as they reach maturity. Without proper space, the fish you have chosen will become aggressive, and can also become stunted. "oh well" is not a proper solution. I know you have stated that you need to get a bigger tank - but the size tank you need to keep the fish you have chosen together responsibly would cost thousands of dollars. You aren't going to find a free one laying around. Picking up a free 55 or 75 isn't going to solve the problem.

ok. thanks for the advise. i'll take it to consideration. i fed the fish today with feeders and some crickets. i normally use the crickets i find in the basement but havent found any lately.

Jtuner119 said:
ok. thanks for the advise. i'll take it to consideration. i fed the fish today with feeders and some crickets. i normally use the crickets i find in the basement but havent found any lately.

Any other questions you think of we'll be happy to answer.

I'll only ask once more then I'll leave it alone, do you have a test kit? If so can we have don't actual numbers? If not, I recommend getting a quality liquid test kit, I recommend the API master test kit.

**edit**
Sorry, missed where you said you test constantly..

i use a 5 in 1 test strip and i check it atleast twice a week. i cant give you exact numbers but from what the kit tells me, all is ok.

Jtuner119 said:
i use a 5 in 1 test strip and i check it atleast twice a week. i cant give you exact numbers but from what the kit tells me, all is ok.

Well can I strongly advise getting the test kit I mentioned? Strips are notoriously inaccurate. The API master test kit is normally ~$31, you can get it cheaper(~25) online, you can find pretty good deals off of amazon. This kit has everything you need, will last you a long time, and will give you very accurate readings.

Nice looking tank. Mumma is absolutely correct. A liquid reagent kit is much more accurate than test strips. The strips are highly susceptible to contamination and age very quickly.

Good advice is sometimes hard to hear.

Mumma.of.two said:
At risk of being told off again I'd just like to mention that test strips are known for being highly inaccurate. That is why liquid test kits are recommended.

Haha, beat me to it, I'm on the app, and have to reread a few times to make sure autocorrect isn't having fun with my posts:p

Back
Top Bottom