Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2011, 02:35 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

its probably hiding in the log somewhere. my wife told me i needed an algae eater. so i got an algae eater.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:37 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtuner119
its probably hiding in the log somewhere. my wife told me i needed an algae eater. so i got an algae eater.
Lol got to keep the misses happy hey.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:43 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

im keeping the 55. i actually plan to have a few tanks. any free tank i can come across, im going to put in use. and the larger, the better. ive always had dogs or cats. never fish and as far as im concerned, its eat or be eaten with fish. not trying to be cruel.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
im keeping the 55. i actually plan to have a few tanks. any free tank i can come across, im going to put in use. and the larger, the better. ive always had dogs or cats. never fish and as far as im concerned, its eat or be eaten with fish. not trying to be cruel.
That's understandable but when we are the ones putting them in the tanks, we are the ones responsible for their health and well-being. I mean we wouldn't put four dogs in a small room and let them compete for space and food would we. It's like any pet ownership. We need to provide them with all their needs to the best of our ability. IMO they are no different to a cat or a dog. They are still living creatures in our care.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok. Thanks for the advice but I don't need the lecture.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

We are all hear to help and share experiences. I'm sorry you feel that way. I will leave you to keep them as you wish.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
I wouldn't have added any more fish to that tank. It is highly overstocked as it is with high waste producing fish. The pleco will now be adding to an ever increasing bioload. Have you still got plans to upgrade very soon? The brown algae you are seeing is called diatoms. It is very common in the first few months of a newly setup tank. You shouldn't buy a fish to eat it because it will go away after a few months on its own. After it is gone you will have to supplement the food if the pleco more often. Is it a common pleco or a bristlenose?
I have to say it, she's right on the money. The common pleco is a waste factory and get huge 24"+ . It needs to be taken back, a good alternative is a bristle nose pleco. So it seems you have a, green terror, oscar, convict, and a jack dempsey, correct?. Have you researched these fish, tank size/aggression, stuff like that? Or did you before you bought them?

Also, what are your water parameters?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #28
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
The fact is I'm already taking care of the fish
Based on what you have provided so far, I would say the fact is you are definitely not taking care of the fish. Any experienced fish keeper would tell you what you have going there and your strategy is destined for failure. Members have provided you sound advice, in a pretty gentle way, truth be told.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have two convicts that were given to me. i wanted a dempsey and the gt just seemed like a good match. i've read about all the fish i have and i know i need a bigger tank. i dont know how many times i have to say that i do plan to get a larger tank. as for the water, the temp is at 75 degrees. i change 1/3 of the water once a week and do water tests constantly. at first i had high nitrates and nitrites. but for the past 2 weeks its been 0's. as for the pleco, its no where to be found. and the oscar was for my wife. i knew it was too much for the tank but you know what they say...... oh well.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can we have the actual numbers? ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?
And you said all were zero, nitrates shouldn't be zero, they should be preferably <20.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com