Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

Just be wary of the cae. When it gets older. It eats less algae and gets more territorial/aggressive. Mine has attacked adult male crayfish...... So you don't know what the other 3 fish are? Get some pics please
I know!!!! Well, didn't know when I was at petco,
Quickly found out about the CAE's when I got home though. I did ask the lady at petco if I should get two and she said "if you want them to kill each other when they get older", but really wasn't thinking they'd turn on the whole tank... This guy is maybe 1.5 inches now so we have a while to we have to cross that bridge though!

And I googled it, the 3 I got that I didn't know the name of are actually Red Minor Serpae Tetras. Let me post some pix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1589984930.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	188935   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1480277091.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	188936  

Old 07-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chsguy88 View Post

I know!!!! Well, didn't know when I was at petco,
Quickly found out about the CAE's when I got home though. I did ask the lady at petco if I should get two and she said "if you want them to kill each other when they get older", but really wasn't thinking they'd turn on the whole tank... This guy is maybe 1.5 inches now so we have a while to we have to cross that bridge though!

And I googled it, the 3 I got that I didn't know the name of are actually Red Minor Serpae Tetras. Let me post some pix.
Since its only 1.5, then you have maybe a year and a half max. Mine right now is around 3-4". Yup, those are red minor serpae tetras. And wow! Your tank looks so much less cloudy and brighter then the pic at the beginning of this thread!

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:

Since its only 1.5, then you have maybe a year and a half max. Mine right now is around 3-4". Yup, those are red minor serpae tetras. And wow! Your tank looks so much less cloudy and brighter then the pic at the beginning of this thread!
Thanks bro this is defiantly an addictive hobby!

Good to know the time til the cae gets bigger
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Also, I'd get more zebra danios if I were you because zebra danios will get nippy if singular or in small groups.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Also, I'd get more zebra danios if I were you because zebra danios will get nippy if singular or in small groups.
I had 6.... They were fine for a couple days then they pack would turn on one, bully it to death.... Literally one was killed each day, one male and one female remained and lived in harmony for I'd say a good 3 days or so, then he killed her.

Granted they were cheap fish, after what happened, I'm not buying anymore zebra danios.... I know I've read the whole they need to be in a pack, but my sole surviving male is happier alone (from what I can see) than he was during the daily blood bath. I swear, it was like I was watching a murder show.... It was like a TV show that was to be continued, every night.... Wake up and watch the drama unfold again lol
Old 07-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

I had 6.... They were fine for a couple days then they pack would turn on one, bully it to death.... Literally one was killed each day, one male and one female remained and lived in harmony for I'd say a good 3 days or so, then he killed her.

Granted they were cheap fish, after what happened, I'm not buying anymore zebra danios.... I know I've read the whole they need to be in a pack, but my sole surviving male is happier alone (from what I can see) than he was during the daily blood bath. I swear, it was like I was watching a murder show.... It was like a TV show that was to be continued, every night.... Wake up and watch the drama unfold again lol
Ouch.... That's not good..... And 6 danios in a group is a good amount. Were they all from the same store and tank? I myself hate zebra danios because IMO they are mean brats that live a short life lol.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:

Ouch.... That's not good..... And 6 danios in a group is a good amount. Were they all from the same store and tank? I myself hate zebra danios because IMO they are mean brats that live a short life lol.
Yeah... All from petsmart, bought at the same time, from the same tank... They did kind of vary in size between the 6 but it wasn't anything too out of the ordinary.

And I'm with ya there, I'm not dealing with those anymore lol. These tetras as a group have been so much more peaceful and just "chill"

The one danio left over is pretty cool now, really active, all over the place.... But yeah, I'm not getting him any mates bc of the serial killer mentality he had for his "brothers and sisters" lol. Maybe he's just psycho. Don't think I can get Xanax and Prozac for fish tho :-( lol
Old 07-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I hear ya on the zebras, they're just not a very attractive fish IMO, haven't had one of those since I was a kid.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamandan View Post

I hear ya on the zebras, they're just not a very attractive fish IMO, haven't had one of those since I was a kid.
I've never had them ever! Lol
And yeah, not too attractive.....
My lfs has them overpriced too. I'm not gonna pay $3-4 for one of those fish :/.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

Yeah... All from petsmart, bought at the same time, from the same tank... They did kind of vary in size between the 6 but it wasn't anything too out of the ordinary.

And I'm with ya there, I'm not dealing with those anymore lol. These tetras as a group have been so much more peaceful and just "chill"

The one danio left over is pretty cool now, really active, all over the place.... But yeah, I'm not getting him any mates bc of the serial killer mentality he had for his "brothers and sisters" lol. Maybe he's just psycho. Don't think I can get Xanax and Prozac for fish tho :-( lol
Lol. Yup, those tetras just "chill" XD. What fish is gonna replace all the zebra danios?

Tags
newbie, slate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com