Newbie to this fish stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glasby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello people im new to this fish stuff ive i have bought my daugher a 30 ltr tank in it i have 2 dwaft gormis 6 neons 2 corys 4platys i think that is too many not sure ? To be honest its got in to mi bones lol carnt wait to get bigger tank 100 ltrs is biggest i can get in to my living room any ideas

There is a very loose rule of an inch of fish per gallon but not too many people follow that very closely. You can have more fish if you have more filtration to offset the waste. Do a search on "cycling" Your tank too. It revolves around the nitrogen cycle, and getting a semi-sterile aquarium loaded with good bacteria to help eliminate the toxins. Hope this helps, and welcome.

Cheers pal I will look on the net it's only a standerd filter that came with tank it's very basic aquaone 101f any ideas for a better one

Well, most folks tend to move away from under gravel filters UGF these days.
Most people use hang on back HOB power filter, or canister filters that sit underneath the aquarium.
Some people even use a small aquarium or "sump" placed inside the stand with elaborate (and very clever) sections that cascade the water through mechanical, chemical, and biological media filters. It is very cool!

It is usually advised to err on the side of too much filtration. So when viewing the stats on the filter boxes, make sure you have enough flow rate and filtration power.

I don't user the Internet for this anymore. This forum has all the info you need!

Glasby said:
Hello people im new to this fish stuff ive i have bought my daugher a 30 ltr tank in it i have 2 dwaft gormis 6 neons 2 corys 4platys i think that is too many not sure ? To be honest its got in to mi bones lol carnt wait to get bigger tank 100 ltrs is biggest i can get in to my living room any ideas

Definitely overstocked, that's only seven gallons and all those fish need 10+, keeping all those dish together I'd suggest a 20 gallon minimum and upward...

Also is your tank cycled?

Cheers for advice my friend has a hundred 125 lit tank so I will rehome. Some leaving me with 2 dwarf gromis 6 neon tetras an a bris nose plec would that be ok with a fluvel u2 filter would that be better an would it be better planted with the dwarfs

Cheers for advice my friend has a hundred 125 lit tank so I will rehome. Some leaving me with 2 dwarf gromis 6 neon tetras an a bris nose plec would that be ok with a fluvel u2 filter would that be better an would it be better planted with the dwarfs

Maybe just one DG and neon tetras IMO. The BN pleco should go in your friend's 125 litre tank or you can always get a new tank for him :)

What about the filter is fluvel u2 any good? 12" x 12 x 12 sq any idea on flow rates for DG's

I've rehomed mi plateys an mi red eyes so got 2 DG's 6 neons an mi bn plec but he's only about one inch at moment. would one dg be alright As everybody says keep them in pairs I've got some plants in an a couple of caves an they keep out of each others way?

Also the plateys an red eyes love their big tank it just shows to ask. they were a bit timid in my tank about after an hour in bag an then put in to tank they were different fish. Is tank is 80cm long an there using it all lol

Back
Top Bottom