Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-20-2005, 01:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Newly Aquired Moonlight (photo)

Here's a pic:

I just bought this Moonlight w/Lunar Phase Controller from Fishbowl Innovations. I ended up getting a pretty good deal by purchasing it from them off of eBAY. The LEDs are setup to create a wide angle light spread so you don't get that spotlight effect you see with some DIY setups. The LED color is blue to simulate the moon's wavelengths.

I bought this one, rather than making my own, because of the wide angle aspect and especially because of the Lunar Controller. It's basically a dimmer on a timer that is timed based upon the actual duration of the lunar cycle over the 29.5 day period. I've been trying to simulate a natural enviorment for my archerfish so even though they don't need the moonlight, let alone a cycle, I thought maybe they'd enjoy it. Archers are wild caught so I know they've spent time in the wild. They know what it's like so I feel it's only fair to try to simulate it for them.

Archers don't seem to have any exciting nocturnal habits. At night they typically go into safe places and sleep. They also tend to turn a dark color that camoflauges them very well. It still worries me that maybe they're turning dark because they're not feeling well but when I spark up the lights they end up going back to their normal colors... it's pretty interesting. I've been looking around and haven't found any documentation on this behavior yet.

Anyways, just making a short story long. I recommend this product if you can get it at a good deal. It's $80 shipped from Fishbowl Innovation's website, or if you get one of their eBAY auctions I got mine for $50 shipped. The product is very high quality and I'm 100% satisfied.

40G Brackish Mangrove Swamp
(4) Toxotes Jaculatrix
(2) Uca Spp.

37G Puffer Tank
(1) Tetraodon nigroviridis

200G Mangrove Swamp (Under Construction)
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to sudz
If anyone does decide to do a DIY kit, to reduce the spotlight effect, get a nail file and roughen up the end of the LED. It signigantly reduces this, and provides more of a blue "glow" than a projection. Also, using a pair of side cutters on the very tip of the 5mm LED helps as well. (you have about 3mm to work with, alot of the size of the LED is the "projector" so to speak.

"In this hobby - Bad things happen over night... The good things take time."
In Progress: 75 Gallon Planted Discus tank
Baby Sitting: 10 Gal Tank with single Convict
sudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Looks sweet!
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Looks great!!!
From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote

light, moonlight, oto, photo

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com