Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Odd Molly behavior

Hey . I have 2 Dalmatian mollies (named Harry n Keith after the judges on American Idol lol). I've had them for a month now and they're healthy as far as I know. I test my water levels and everything is fine, they will almost lie or swim slowly at the bottom I the tank and just stare at me on the couch! I put a sheet of folded paper to block their sight just at that spot and they now swim around freely.
I feed them 2-3 Xper day... Meh... It's just this one spot at the bottom where they like to like sit and watch me.. Are they just lazy fish?
They used to even get shimmies a bit and stay at that place for most of the day... But now that they can't just sit and watch me for food (??? Lol) they swim around... Are they like aquatic pigs??

KeithnHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
That seems strange - just checking they are not overfed?

Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well I know that if they are sick or stressed (or sleeping for that matter) they will just lounge around the bottom. While you may be overfeeding them (as the other poster mentioned), you may also want to check if you are running your filter properly. I know that acidic or unclean water can be a problem. A simple test kit would help you rule that out at least. Let us know!
Saltyd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok- I was over feeding them for sure... It takes so much discipline but I feed them once a day now. They should not eat as much as they want to lol....
Turn the lamp on and off at consistent times to help them out...

They swim freely and hide for just a while in the cover I have... No more shimmies !!

The water is clearer and of a bit better quality... Thank y'all for your help... Spot on... I got a better filter because the one I had was pretty much ineffective (came with the tank), though I didn't want to...

They have clear gills, scales, fins...

Thank you!!!
KeithnHarry is offline   Reply With Quote

behavior, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com