Ok so here is what I rescued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonestarbandit

Aquarium Advice Freak
Background is the lady was super concerned that the tank be really nice that her fish were going to go in she was moving and she couldn't take them with her when I got there I found to my shock and horror that they had a smaller maybe 30 gallon cube tank which held six rather large fish and it was so thick and green with algae to get the fish out I couldn't even see what I was swiping yet I had to guess.

But totals for 20.00 rehoming fee which if we are the ones SAVING these fish why are WE paying the fee??

1 red (pink?) parrot (how do these things eat with the mutated mouth?)
3 leaf fish ( man these things have a nasty temper)
2 red jewel cichlids
1 very old and very chewed up poor pleco

Their colors aren't quite back yet from the move:

Wonder what the trade in on leaf fish at the lfs is?
I don't like these buggers they tore the hell out the poor pleco for his whole life I bet. And in the small tank they were in maybe a 30? A cube shape who in their right mind adds not one of the monsters but 3!!

image-2562932570.jpg

image-912672043.jpg

Poor pleco

Attachments

• image-1916344630.jpg
    image-1916344630.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 156
  • image-431394635.jpg
    image-431394635.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 138
  • image-3635541964.jpg
    image-3635541964.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 144
  • image-3707035394.jpg
    image-3707035394.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 130
  • image-2914731917.jpg
    image-2914731917.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 138
  • image-1152859170.jpg
    image-1152859170.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited by a moderator:
I love leaf fish, too bad we're not closer. I'd gladly pay you back your $20.00 for them. :)

I know the LFSs around me do in-store trade, but for something like that or for certain types of fry they will actually give cash. I'd call around to stores close to you.

DragonFish71 said:
I love leaf fish, too bad we're not closer. I'd gladly pay you back your $20.00 for them. :)

I know the LFSs around me do in-store trade, but for something like that or for certain types of fry they will actually give cash. I'd call around to stores close to you.

They ARE pretty cool now they've been rescued and have room to move about. Just not sure I want to do cichlids yet. Think I'm more into a planted tropical in the 55 for now. I contacted the local mom and pop lfs won't bother w box stores, mom and pop place usually issues credit.

Parrots can eat quite easily and are actually quite the pigs. Yours is a dyed parrot and the mouth looks very deformed. I would definitely house this parrot with much more peaceful fish than it's with now. They have no way of defending themselves against aggressive species.

I love leaf fish, but as you've seen, they are highly aggressive. They also eat any fish that fits into their mouths, not exactly good community fish. That's actually the only reason I don't have them.

LyndaB said:
Parrots can eat quite easily and are actually quite the pigs. Yours is a dyed parrot and the mouth looks very deformed. I would definitely house this parrot with much more peaceful fish than it's with now. They have no way of defending themselves against aggressive species.

I love leaf fish, but as you've seen, they are highly aggressive. They also eat any fish that fits into their mouths, not exactly good community fish. That's actually the only reason I don't have them.

I have no choice with the housing arrangement as my other 2 tanks are tropical. This was more just a rescue attempt than anything. I didn't want this size of cichlids. If anything I wanted the dwarf size. But I couldn't leave them in that thick green soup the owner referred to as "water". They will most likely go to my lfs as trade. At least they have a chance to live.

Those are african leaf fish or ctenpomas. I applaud you for this rescue. I am working on rescuing bettas. I hope they are doing well.

LyndaB said:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the parrot. Very odd mouth and definitely dyed.

Back
Top Bottom