Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha. Thanks for the advice!

I can completely see them being daredevils. My two are so active and curious, I could see them trying to make a "jail break".

I just read they are very specific fish and people kind of made it seem like they were going to die if they don't have a strong current. When I was reading it, almost made me not buy them. Anyway, these guys are way more interesting than threads and articles make them sound!

So, how many do you have?

And cute avatar picture<3

Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just the one. I had gotten two originally but the other one didn't make it much past acclimation. I hadn't seen since I got home that he was fairly emaciated and didn't look all that well or I would've asked for another.

When I had gotten mine they were just juveniles and only about an inch long. My little fella is now about 2 inches long and is much more shapely.

Otherwise he seems to just fine with the amount of current in the tank, and like you can see in the picture - his favorite thing to do is just perch on the tops of leaves and soak in the light. (My java fern also has these really long leaves that he'll use like a hammock).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Mine are about two inches. I bought them with little bellies and I think they have just gotten more chunky.

Actually, the shop I got them from is doing a switch over from the big distributors to local breeders and these were from a breeder.

So, he's doing fine all on his own? I was thinking about getting more since mine are inseparable and constantly interacting. Thought maybe more would make them even happier.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea, he seems to be fine. About the worst thing he does, is if he sees my Julii Cories hanging out in a clump - he'll jump into them like a kid jumping into leaves, sending cories scooting everywhere. :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

haha. That's cute. I have seen a little bit of aggression toward my two SAEs whenever they start sucking on one of the plants. They come up and kick them off. I guess similar to what you just described. So, normal garra behavior?
Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Pretty much. From what I've seen of youtube videos, PGs (especially males) will "wrestle" for dominance - but since they really cant hurt anyone with their mouths, all they do is turn very pale and slap each other around with their tails.

They may also boss-off other ground dwellers during feeding, because they're very active scavengers. Mine will stick his head so far down the substrate that all you see is his butt wiggling straight up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow. Well, my SAEs are completely off of cleaning up algae and such. They got spoiled on prepared foods. So, they will be alright.

Ugh, I just found the spark dead...
Old 02-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2620118017.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	74618

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3757561683.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	74619
i want more!
Athaocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh... I am jealous. I spent ten on each of mine. And that was a deal from fifteen.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
Oh... I am jealous. I spent ten on each of mine. And that was a deal from fifteen.
Anyway you still have a panda garra garra! My fs has usu have them for 5.99
But I never got one. Congrats on the buy though. They look nice too

i want more!
Athaocity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gourami, panda

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com