Petco fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtomas24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Went into petco yesterday cause I was bored and that's what I do. Haha. But I saw a tank full of bamboo and driftwood pieces and was checking out the wood and realized there was little Molly and platy fry swimming all around in the tank. They had a little tag that said adoption babies 25 cents each. Had a dollar in change and figured I'd pick up some. Got 4 silver mollies, one might be marble, and what looks like a tiny panda platy hitch hiked. My question is about how long will they take to grow to a size big enough to mix in with the adults. They are about 1/4-1/2 inch long now

Growth will depend on temperature and feeding. Keep the temps up and feed them several times a day, give them fresh water frequently, and they'll be big enough in just a month or two.

I actually got a few fry at Petco once, guppies that were in the "male" guppy tank. The guy's comment was "Don't have a UPC. They're free!" We lost one, but the other two were up to being with the adults a month later. Strangely, both survivors were male...

I'll try to get a picture later today. It's gonna be hard, they are so small. They're in a 10 gallon tank with a pfs bed, two thick fake plants, and a hob filter I picked up with a 20 gallon setup a while back. The temp stays around 80 with the heater that's in it. They hide in the plants most of the time. Should I up the temp some or is 80 good?

Aww, they sound so cute! I've seen the fry in the tanks at my LFSs and all I can think is 'hide in the fake plants'! That's a cool idea that they're selling the fry that would have been eaten.

I think 80 should be a good temperature. Just don't let it get much higher, I think the highest I have heard of is 82. Of course, make sure the filter is not blowing the fry around and you should be on your way to having some mature fish.

My daughter got 3 Platy Fry from Petsmart. we were in there getting her a couple new fish and she spotted them. We ask and they said oh those are free.. so she took all 3. I have them in a fry net in her 10 Gal currently

Brine shrimp crushed up will help them grow quickly. We have fry regularly and that's what we have found will fatten them up the fastest. And the other fish like it too.

Well I can't get a good picture of them but they are definitely growing quick. They already are much easier to spot in the tank. I'm going to try the brine Shrimp today I think. I've just been feeding them crushed up flakes. The first couple times it took them a while to realize food was there but they are starting to learn quickly.

Well I can't get a good picture of them but they are definitely growing quick. They already are much easier to spot in the tank. I'm going to try the brine Shrimp today I think. I've just been feeding them crushed up flakes. The first couple times it took them a while to realize food was there but they are starting to learn quickly.

I always fed my Guppy fry crushed flakes and it worked well. Good luck!

I got my fry! Finally I was searching through all the molly and platy tanks for babies and they gave them to me for free! I got 2 black mollies and a platy. !YAY!

Yay! Happy for you.... Your mamma fish may continue to drop fry about every month. Mine drop regularly.

Well sad news. Woke up yesterday morning to find all of the fry dead. I been keeping a close eye on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well as temperature and about twice weekly PWC but still had some sort of tragedy. Checked the parameters once again after I cleaned the fish out and everything still looked good.

Back
Top Bottom