pH keeps lowering. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpea43

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a 2o gallon long, only planted now, drift wood has been removed.
-4 cory cats
-6 pristella tetras
-7 neon tetras
-6+ black mystery snails.

I have routinely done water changes weekly. %25 =5 gallons. Vacuum 1/2 the gravel one week , other half the next.

*for my snails at times I put blanched broccoli in the tank for 12-24 hours.

What can my options be why my pH keeps lowering ?! Please help.

I Also just put new carbon in my aqua clear 50 HOB filter. It's a 20-50 gallon filter. And it's on high.

Added 10 mL of the beneficial bacteria in the pouch

Could I be filtering too much?

Could my sponge be dirty in my filter ?

Please help, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are you testing with? What are your ph values?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

API pH tester. Try to Keep it 7-8 a cause I Have snails. And in a cpl days to a weeys it falls to 6.0 / yellow color

Edit : week *^

Test your gh/kh at all?

No. I test is pH, Nitrite, and Ammonia, should I test more then that ?

You should test the pH of your tap water and also the KH of both your tank and tap water.

Ok, will do. I have city water. I'll have to pick up a test kit this weekend for what your talking about. I haven't lost any fish I'm just tryin to keep my levels steady and not stress any of the fish out.

My city tap comes out high 8 ' s and settles to low 7 ' s after off gassing for 24 hours. You can add crushed coral to your filter to buffer kh, this would most likely get your ph to stick around 7.

you could try a few things
1) a bottle of seltzer water 16 oz per every 10g (the bubbles from seltzer water will help slowly raise ph)
2) teaspoon of baking soda in a 8 oz bottle of water adding about a oz a hour till your testing your desired ph
3) you could buy a buffer
4) crushed coral
5) few sea shells

Personally, I would be hesitant to modify the water chemistry until you got reading from your tank and tap on KH.

Personally, I would be hesitant to modify the water chemistry until you got reading from your tank and tap on KH.

Agreed,absolutely test first, I was just throwing out a possible solution..

yes always test
sometimes all it needs is a simple water change a little bigger than normal
never know could be just that simple

Yeah. Appreciate the feedback. I'll be testing my water from the tap as soon as I get home tomorrow and buy the other test kit someone had mentioned . And I'll be letting everyone know what i find out

So my water right out of my faucet and the water in a bucket that's been sitting for over 48 hours , both came out blue on the pH test. 7.6 +

Back
Top Bottom