Pics of my New 10 gallon..(newbie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think about my newbie tank

• good job!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alright..

• need help

• you know what your doing

• Total voters

dertyharry420

Aquarium Advice Regular
10 Gallon Regent tank
All Glass Full hood with light ( 15W )
Penguin mini bio wheel ...soon to be upgraded to a penguin 125.
Carib Sea Marine Sand ...finally got the water clear :D
2 live plants ..not sure on the names yet... and i have 7 of those seeds you can buy at walmart ..
2 Neon tetras
3 Fancy guppies
2 Plecs
and like 8 ghost shrimp..

Ornaments : one big rock with drift wood has one opening on the fron and one on the back.

the log has 4 openings and a window...

i use jungle start right as my conditioner and i also and jungle a.c.e. and jungle clear water once .and a tad bit of jungle ph decreser .

i also had some questions if i have a pregnant ghost shrimp whats good ways of protecting the eggs... or the srimp..?

and i saw these 15 watt plant grow bulbs at walmart how would i mount those under my hoos and what do i buy to plug the bulbs into..?

I akso purchased a auto light timer for my light and set it to turn on at 6 a.m. and turn off at 12:00 which is 18 hours of light is that fine..?

thanks --anthony

I akso purchased a auto light timer for my light and set it to turn on at 6 a.m. and turn off at 12:00 which is 18 hours of light is that fine..?
12 hours is better. The fish will thank you.

and a tad bit of jungle ph decreser
It's better to have stable pH than perfect pH. Stop using chemicals to alter your tank pH. There are natural ways to change the pH.

Your plecos would appreciate natural wood to chew on. What kind of plecos are you keeping? Please post pics of your plecos if you can!

Nice job Anthony! What kind of lighting do you currently have? I don't know about plugging in additional plant grow lights, but if you currently just have incandescent lights you could replace them with compact fluorescent bulbs. My lfs doesn't have them but drsfoster&smith.com has them online.

nice!

sweet what kind do you suggest im new to plants and i love live plants cause the fake ones just dont cut it lol and how many watts do you think i should shoot for if ill have like 9 plants...

dertyharry420 said:
sweet what kind do you suggest im new to plants and i love live plants cause the fake ones just dont cut it lol and how many watts do you think i should shoot for if ill have like 9 plants...
i have an all-glass 15W it came with the hood...

Hey, it looks awesome! I have to add something kinda negative, though- as a warning from my experience. Sand is NOT the way to go. I still have sand, and I love how it looks, but if it's not vacuumed regularly (at least once a week) sand harbors bacteria and any illness causing pathogen fish can get. My fish now have fish lice, dropsy, mouth fungus, and bacterial infections because I didn't have enough time to take care of the sand properly. If you can take care of it, GREAT! Just wanted to let you know in case you hadn't thought of the dangers. Good luck! :)

cool

thanks for the info though but yeah i do have alot of time to take care of my tank.And i clean it every week sometime every 5 days.I like it to look clean.

DrsFoster&Smith has three types of mini compact fluorescents. I have two of the All-Glass bulbs, which I find to shed a bit of a blue light. I might try the Coralife Colormax next time. The catalogue says 10 watts c.fluor. is equivalent to 50 watt incandes. I think any of these would benefit your plants, and of course you could choose plants that don't have high light requirements...

a power compact bulb will fit into my regular allglass fixture wouldnt it..?
and its an 18" bulb right if i havea 10 gallon..?

and for the lights this is what i have picked out

CUR2023 18" 40W SunPaq Dual Actinic PC Lamp (420nm/460nm) $18.39

CUR2024 18" 40W SunPaq Dual Daylight PC Lamp (6700K/10000K) $18.39

CUR2025 18" 40W SunPaq SmartPaq 50/50 PC Lamp $18.39

its at aquariumpros.com

which one would fit me best..?

You may also want to put a sponge over your filters pick up tube so it doesnt suck up any sand and kill your filter.

Other than that great job... (y)

No, a Power Compact bulb has a different pin setup than a flourescent tube, and is more power-consumptive. Power compact bulbs require fittings designed specifically for them in either a straight-pin (4 pins) or square-pin (also 4 pins) connection arrangement. If you are looking to get a PC ballast, www.bigalsonline.com offers some of the absolute best prices.

An actinic bulb (peaks in the blue and ultraviolet ranges of light) does nothing whatsoever for plants, and tends to lead to algae problems. The blue and ultraviolet light it produces is not suitable for plants, as these require principally red, yellow, green light. I'd reccomend against it unless you're going for looks, and have a great tolerance for scrubbing away algae. Same goes for 50/50 bulbs, as these are half actinic. Kelvin rating (e.g. 10000K), btw, is a way of rating the color of light that a bulb produces. 5000-10,000K bulbs are appropriate for planted tanks. Most enthusiasts tend to prefer 5500Ks, 6700Ks (most popular) and 10,000Ks.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom