Planning To Buy Another Aquarium.. Need Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turbojha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello to you all.

I have to say that I am happy to be here today. When I started this amazing hobby of mine, I was so desperate for information and man, do the local vendors suck here ! :ROFLMAO: But after some help from you guys, I somehow came to terms with what I had just started. :fish1:

Now, after six months, I know a little bit about how to handle fish but that being said, I am planning to buy a new and a much bigger tank than my current one which is only of 10 gallons.

So, here are my questions one by one and please be kind enough to explain your answers whenever you think an explanation is needed for a novice like me. :banghead:

Q 1 : Which material is better for aquarium of a size, say 30 gallons ? There are only two material available here, one is glass, (green in colour glued together with what I have been told is silicon gel) and the other available material is acrylic which looks amazing with lights inside them. So, when it comes to looks, I would definetly want to go with acrylic material build but I wanna know which material suits fishes the most ? I am kinda too sentimental about my fish and I would hate myself if I buy something that they don't really like. :thanks:

Q 2 : Is 30 gallons a good enough size for an aquarium that may become a permanent thing for my home ? I mean, is it good enough or should I go even bigger and yes, I know what you will say, the bigger, the better but here is the thing. We are building our new home and the space I have in mind for my aquarium is 5 feet in width (not less than 5, I am sure but I can give you an exact number if you want it), so I don't think any aquarium of more than 30 gallons will accommodate itself in that space.

Q 3 : Should I go for a saltwater aquarium setup or a freshwater one ? :angel:

Q 4 : Can the water in my current tank help expedite the process of fishless cycling in my new aquarium ? :fish2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Q1 - Acrylic will be fine.
Q2 - I have a 4ft 150gl tank. ?
Q3 - Thats a question only you can ultimately answer.
Q4 - no, but the filter media sure can help ya quick cycle.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Q1: Acrylic scratches more easily and is more expensive. I prefer glass for those reasons but acrylic is great if it's what you like the look of.

Q2: Go big or go home! A 30 gallon is a good size if you don't want to go crazy. 55 gallon and 75 gallon tanks are both 4 feet and give you a lot of options. I think any 5 foot tanks would have to be custom-built to that length- standard tank lengths jump from 4 to 6 feet after 75 gallons.

Q3: FRESHWATER! Get some loaches.

Dear sinibotia

Thanks for the quick reply.

can you please give me the full dimensions of a 75 gallon tank of 4 feet, so that I could really decide that if I want one for myself.

Dear sinibotia

Thanks for the quick reply.

can you please give me the full dimensions of a 75 gallon tank of 4 feet, so that I could really decide that if I want one for myself.

Q1. Glass because it doesn't scratch as easily
Q2. You could do a 4' 120 gallon tank, which I believe is stock. 4'×2'×2'. A 30 gallon tank is only 30"×12"×16" high
Q3. How much $$$ do you want to spend? sw will be more expensive, but it does look really really cool
Q4. No, but the filter media, decor, and substrate will help

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom