Please help me decide!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
Most exciting thing since i started keeping aquariums happened today! When I was growing up(talking elementary school,) someone gave me an aquarium that I kept anole lizards and then hamsters in. My parents cleaned out a storage building today that hasn't been opened since I was in the 4th grade(12 years ago.) Low and behold, there was that aquarium. :) Stand and all with a hood and a double light fixture. The lights look larger than T8s, so I'm going to do some research on those. The dimensions are 30x22x12. I've read where that's 35 gallons and where it's 37. Any correct info?

I just got rid of 9 tanks, so keeping this is my gift to me! I'm trying to make a plan for this aquarium. :)

Deciding between a sw FOWLR with some kind of dwarf angel, damsel, goby, and some other cool fish and inverts.

OR

A very heavily planted fw tank with some schooling fish, shrimp, and a gourami or some other centerpiece fish. I just don't know if I like the footprint for a planted tank.

I know I would be happy with either. I just don't know what to pick. :) Any inspirational pics, stories, other views, stocking suggestions, even something that I haven't mentioned would be very greatly appreciated! I'm so excited! :)

I'd go with the FOWLER

Cool. Thanks. :) any other stocking suggestions? I know the tank is pretty small so my options are pretty limited. If I do that, I would also love to have a pistol shrimp/goby care, since I don't really trust the pistol shrimp in my reef tank. They're too pretty to be nice. Lol. Anyone know anything about arrow crabs? They're freaking cool!

Cool. Thanks. :) any other stocking suggestions? I know the tank is pretty small so my options are pretty limited. If I do that, I would also love to have a pistol shrimp/goby care, since I don't really trust the pistol shrimp in my reef tank. They're too pretty to be nice. Lol. Anyone know anything about arrow crabs? They're freaking cool!

I love clowns personally. So maybe a pair of clowns?

Also taking a crawfish/minnow tank into consideration. I love the low maintenance and I've always enjoyed keeping crawfish.

Another thing I'm taking into consideration is the fact that I have a 55 gallon reef running and a 2.5 gallon pico reef cycling. So I don't have any freshwater right now. I do miss it. Lol.

Found it! What about a sw lobster? Idk much of the details on keeping those though and answering your question about keeping small angels in the tank... I would say keep him until you think he is too big or plan to upgrade like we all do anyways right? Lol. I know people say to not do that but I don't really see the harm in it as long as you transfer them correctly.

Found it! What about a sw lobster? Idk much of the details on keeping those though and answering your question about keeping small angels in the tank... I would say keep him until you think he is too big or plan to upgrade like we all do anyways right? Lol. I know people say to not do that but I don't really see the harm in it as long as you transfer them correctly.

I would love to do that! But I'm not optimistic about upgrading any time soon. So I can't do that yet. :) plus I'm nervous about doing that because I'm not sure when stunting happens and I would be sooo upset if I did that knowingly.

OH MY GOSH. I would love a lobster! Hadnt thought of that. I have to have one now. Lol.

Yes I love those! Ironically enough I work on a lobster boat in new England in the summer... not catching any of those though! Haha

Yes I love those! Ironically enough I work on a lobster boat in new England in the summer... not catching any of those though! Haha

They're so pretty. I love New England! I couldn't ever leave my beloved Texas, but if I did I would go to new England. :) if you ever catch one, send it to Texas! :)

I set-up a 90 Gal planted tank after being away from the hobby for a while. I have 80 little guys. Neons, cardinals, rasboras, paradise fish. The constant motion is wonderful and the plants are doing great. I lost two gouramis and a beta in the beginning. It may have been something to do with the CO2 system. This is the first tank in which Ive used substrate. I highly recommend it.

I set-up a 90 Gal planted tank after being away from the hobby for a while. I have 80 little guys. Neons, cardinals, rasboras, paradise fish. The constant motion is wonderful and the plants are doing great. I lost two gouramis and a beta in the beginning. It may have been something to do with the CO2 system. This is the first tank in which Ive used substrate. I highly recommend it.

Awesome! What's the footprint on your 90 gallon? I love planted tanks. I don't use a co2 system though. I just supplement with excel or co2 booster.

These are the lights. The fixture is Marineland and the hood itself is Eclipse, so I'm hoping they're useful, work, and bulbs are still available. Anyone know anything about them?

img_2382894_0_85aab49502f10dab6956da5a830b9d0e.jpg

This is the link to the hood

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PF...2-Inch/dp/B003SNGRVC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Go with the planted! I mean, you already have two saltwater tanks...

My wheels have been turning on a 55 gallon planted tank. ;) I'm upgrading my reef to 100 gallons, probably in December or January, and I'm considering keeping my 55 and doing plants. I currently have a 10 gallon planted. I would really like something bigger and I already have the tank. Lol. Based on those two things, ill probably just have some crawfish or a terrarium with tree frogs and anoles. Maybe some fire belly toads. But I can almost guarantee it will be either planted or a crawfish tank.

Or I'll have to get rid of all my tanks to afford a 100 gallon reef. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom