Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2016, 02:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Possible pregnant guppy? Help!

Hi everyone! This is Rachael and Max. We just joined this site today since we are having some concerns! We recently purchased two guppies about two weeks ago. We were told they were two male guppies. Last week we noticed that the one guppy was chasing the other one around the tank. The one that was being chased has been staying towards the bottom and hiding as much as possible. We thought that maybe he/she was just being bullied, but today when we looked at the guppy, she looked totally different.

I am wondering if he is actually a she and if she is pregnant? I am not sure if the male guppy we have is the one who got her pregnant or if she got pregnant at the store if they assumed it was a male. Looking for some advice on what is going on here! Thanks!

We are at a college dorm and we have the means to take care of her and the babies if she is pregnant, we just need to know!

This was him/her when we first brought them home. (sorry for the lighting)
[/URL][/IMG]

This is her today
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Old 02-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

that's not possibly pregnant , that's like ready to explode pregnant be-sure to have a separate container for the fry, congrats

Old 02-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
that's not possibly pregnant , that's like ready to explode pregnant be-sure to have a separate container for the fry, congrats
Someone told me it's a bloated male? I noticed today that she has been laying on the bottom of the tank and when I tap on the glass she tries to swim up but does it very slow. She's just been chilling on the bottom. She tries to come up for her food though?
Old 02-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is a bloated male. It has a gonopodium so it's impossible for it to be pregnant.
“A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal” Proverbs 12:10
A bible verse about pets!
Anders247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM1212 View Post
Someone told me it's a bloated male? I noticed today that she has been laying on the bottom of the tank and when I tap on the glass she tries to swim up but does it very slow. She's just been chilling on the bottom. She tries to come up for her food though?

Can you see the gonopodium? Have a look in the fish shop for the difference and let us know if male or female.

I was thinking female but got to be upfront and say I wouldn't bet anything on it. Happy to take the consensus.

Just in case - no feeding for a day. Won't do them any harm anyways.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I can see a gonopodium.....

“A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal” Proverbs 12:10
A bible verse about pets!
Anders247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guppy, pregnant, pregnant guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com