Practically a new 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deitta

Aquarium Advice Activist
So over a year ago I purchased a 210 gallon with a 40 gallon sump for ultra cheap (less than $400!) for first home. Used scratched, etc. but great price with the sump pump for return and a bunch of live rock, even with wagon wheels on some rock. Learned a LOT! So feel was with the investment was good, just for the knowledge it gave me.
I have serious health issues, so with the kid off to college in another state and hubby gone for weeks at a time. I came up with the idea of downsizing so I would be better at maintaining it alone. Handed 210 to co-worker of hubby with a list of what I would do differently with same tank. Funny moment, in the two days it sat on our lawn, I even have video of yearling female moose sucking the last bit of marine water like a salt lick! Told friend he had completion for the tank!
Long story short, soak that 20 gallon garbage can with dolly ( pay for the dolly that it’s screwed into the can it is sooooooo with it!) and rinse it out several times! ( I did not and suffered for it) I put all the rock life life I wanted (wagon wheels, rastas and ricordia shrooms and my fish with snails. All non-swimming life did not survive the three day hold, when I moved out the 210 and replaced with 75 and got running. Only the non-swimmers survived with a single snail. So I have been cycling the tank for about 6 weeks, with survivors and main decorations (Atlantis like) and there is sooooooo much green grass. Now I kinda like the effect of seeing the grass move in the currents, but it is possibly choking things I actually paid for. Just FYI; RO water is not a viable option for many reasons. I Britta filter every drop, and then stand for at least 24 hours before use, which is the best option I have for now.
No fish, one snail and hubby hates grass.
Loved mollies back in FW days and have decided to have my soft corals surrounded by what most think are freshwater, just for the love of mollies, shrimp and freaking people out.
I current have a huge grass problem, I also wanted snails and hermit crabs. Eventually I want a dragon, but know several things must happen first. So in the meantime I need snails, blue hermits and mollies.
Suggestion on type of mollies, and number, as they would be the main species, would be appreciated.
P.S. due to health I make larger water changes just in case something incapacitated me, to buy time. Also choose 75 as being my new “Dream tank” and have permission to slowly switch from in tank equipment to in line because of canister filer. Have UV, power heads to produce way more circulation than needed and the Apex newest systems to help minimize my personal energy variances.
So to sum up, how many mollies? How many snails (varied or all one type)? How many blue legged hermits? And what species will leave mollies alone? Hubby LOVES hawk fish (especially the Pygmy hawk fish, had one before, he loves the hunting witch I think would be satisfied with dragon). I LOVE shrimp, especially cleaners and the red ones with white dots. (See the time? Can’t remember if called scarlet or flame or what, sue me.)
Tips on stock gratefully requested with those who have had mollies in
SW!

I have always liked black mollies .All colors are basically the same so really the choices is a color preference...For what it is worth guppies can be kept in full marine conditions also but few people know or try this...
I believe the mollies will work on your grass also over time...
For snails Mexican turbos serve a good purpose and I have always enjoyed conchs...
The sand sifting snails are cool and like submarines breaching the surface of the sea when they smell food and pop out of the sand to hunt it.
Careful with hermits and snails..Many hermits will kill snails just for the shell even if they don't fit it...They don't have good 'size' eyes when shopping for new homes !

Back
Top Bottom