Pregnant Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mistilynn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My fiancee & I set up a 10 gallon, We went to the LFS & bought 2 guppies & a mystery snail (They told us to slowly add the guppies, 2 at a time). We chose the type of guppies we wanted & they scooped 2 up & sent us on our way. We got home & as we let the bag float in the water we noticed, one of the guppies seems to be very bloated. I don’t know fish too well, but this one looks pregnant to me. I’m going to attach some photos. Please let me know what you think, We are not prepared to be fish grandparents! IMG_0863.jpgIMG_0861.jpgIMG_0859.jpg

Also another question, I got an API freshwater test kit, I tested my bettas 5 gal, Ph 8.2, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0-0.5, & my ammonia I’m not sure about? It shows on the paper that 0 is a pale yellow colour, but when I tested it was completely clear? I’m assuming thats good? I tested 3 times thinking it may have been my error but it was the same clear result each time.

Based on the anal fin (last fin on the underside before the tail) the bloated fish appears to be male.
Not sure why the ammonia test would appear “clear”. Be sure to mix the API test tubes and the reagents (prior to adding to the test tube) vigorously.

Based on the anal fin (last fin on the underside before the tail) the bloated fish appears to be male.
Not sure why the ammonia test would appear “clear”. Be sure to mix the API test tubes and the reagents (prior to adding to the test tube) vigorously.

If the fish is male, why might it be so bloated? Is this normal?

There would be a deep brownish black gravid spot right above the anal fin if it was a pregnant female which gets darker and bigger closer to birth.

Pretty much any female Guppy coming from a store is highly likely to be pregnant. Even at the store when they are in male only tanks or female only tanks, they are in grow out tanks before that with the breeder, until they can be identified as male or female and separated to M or F.

Could be constipation.

Try feeding some cooked peas, the inside bits of the round individual peas, to see if it can get them to poop.

Back
Top Bottom