Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Pregnant Guppy

My fiancee & I set up a 10 gallon, We went to the LFS & bought 2 guppies & a mystery snail (They told us to slowly add the guppies, 2 at a time). We chose the type of guppies we wanted & they scooped 2 up & sent us on our way. We got home & as we let the bag float in the water we noticed, one of the guppies seems to be very bloated. I donít know fish too well, but this one looks pregnant to me. Iím going to attach some photos. Please let me know what you think, We are not prepared to be fish grandparents! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	310960Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0861.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	310961Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	310962

Also another question, I got an API freshwater test kit, I tested my bettas 5 gal, Ph 8.2, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0-0.5, & my ammonia Iím not sure about? It shows on the paper that 0 is a pale yellow colour, but when I tested it was completely clear? Iím assuming thats good? I tested 3 times thinking it may have been my error but it was the same clear result each time.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Based on the anal fin (last fin on the underside before the tail) the bloated fish appears to be male.
Not sure why the ammonia test would appear ďclearĒ. Be sure to mix the API test tubes and the reagents (prior to adding to the test tube) vigorously.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Based on the anal fin (last fin on the underside before the tail) the bloated fish appears to be male.
Not sure why the ammonia test would appear ďclearĒ. Be sure to mix the API test tubes and the reagents (prior to adding to the test tube) vigorously.

If the fish is male, why might it be so bloated? Is this normal?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

There would be a deep brownish black gravid spot right above the anal fin if it was a pregnant female which gets darker and bigger closer to birth.

Pretty much any female Guppy coming from a store is highly likely to be pregnant. Even at the store when they are in male only tanks or female only tanks, they are in grow out tanks before that with the breeder, until they can be identified as male or female and separated to M or F.

Could be constipation.

Try feeding some cooked peas, the inside bits of the round individual peas, to see if it can get them to poop.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guppy, pregnant, pregnant guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com