Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwaterashley View Post
They should stay separate until they are too big to fit in your larger fishes mouth.. what kind of fish do you have? If its just guppies you should be waitig for at least a month.. also.. the cleaner the fry tank is the faster they will grow... not saying clean it constantly bur make sure there is not alot of debris. I do 20 percent every 2 or 3 days on my 1 g fry tank. Keeps them happy and they seem to grow very fast. Wait until they are at least 1cm and you will be fine
I agree.
Just a couple of things to think about though. Make sure whatever tank your keeping the fry in, it like every tank, has to be cycled. Also if you are keeping all the fry and putting them in the big tank;
1. You are going to have hundreds of fry in no time.
2. You are going to have a lot of inbreeding.
I trade all my fry, when big enough, with my LFS. I only let my regular breeding pairs breed, 1m/3f. My LFS separates the males and females. If I want to breed the fry, I swap out all the related males. IMO, this is essential, when trading/selling, because I want to keep the fry as pure as possible.
If you are planning on keeping them all for yourself, it's not a big issue. Inbreeding leads to smaller, weaker, sicker and sometimes deformed guppies. Inbreeding, especially in livebearers, is an issue already but I want to try and do my bit. Just something to think about.....

Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Oh, I've not thought of that at all. Ok new plan I'm going going to have to decide what to do. Cause I don't want any of those issues you just described. In my big tank I only have four females and two males. I don't want any of the issues you described and I'm glad you did cause I would worry myself crazy if they started getting sick or deformed or anything like that. I am defiantly not going to add them to the big tank. If anything just keep them till I can work out what to do with the babies. Thanks again. She still has not had any yet. It's driving me crazing waiting. She is doing ok or seems to be.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What i do is keep the fry that i like and swap the mother for either in store credit or a new breeding male. I have had inbred fish but have never had a problem with deformities from it. Nor have they been sickly or weak. Once i had a guppy with only one eye come out but thtlat was bc he was born a little too early bc of the stress of moving her to her own tank. But he is right. Inbreeding is a problem, but most local store baught guppies are already inbred .. maybe not at petsmart or petco. I dont buy there though. I usually buy from an exotic pet store or a family owned because they are alot cheaper and i have a tight budget.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok I think I'm going to do like u said keep a few I like and see if the pet store here would be willing to help. We have a few locally owned store so I'm hoping to trade or get store credit. I don't want my tank over run with a crazy amount of guppies either. She still has not had her babies. She is not eating at all so I'm thinking it will be anytime. Thanks so much. I'm new to this and I just want them healthy and happy. She is much more relaxed in the smaller tank now too. I was worried but I think she is ok.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwaterashley View Post
What i do is keep the fry that i like and swap the mother for either in store credit or a new breeding male. I have had inbred fish but have never had a problem with deformities from it. Nor have they been sickly or weak. Once i had a guppy with only one eye come out but thtlat was bc he was born a little too early bc of the stress of moving her to her own tank. But he is right. Inbreeding is a problem, but most local store baught guppies are already inbred .. maybe not at petsmart or petco. I dont buy there though. I usually buy from an exotic pet store or a family owned because they are alot cheaper and i have a tight budget.
I agree that most of the guppies we get are inbred but we can do our bit and not let ours deliberately inbred. As was said, a simple way around this is just to keep your breeding stock separate, trade all your fry or swap out your males.
A solution to having too many fry is, just let the females give birth to the fry in your main tank and most/all will be eaten by the adults....

Tags
guppy, pregnant, pregnant guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com