problems with my suckerfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikkidill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I found my suckerfish laying on his back at the bottom of the tank..He is still breathing but not moving..even when I nudge him he didn't try to swim away.

If I were you post this in the unhealthy fish section. You'll get more responses there.

he is a Pleco.the tank is 100 gallon..he shares the tank with an angel fish and two small gray fish (not sure what they are). I hope this helps..I am new to this forum and my fish tank! thanks!

I have not tested it...is there a certain test kit I should get? We got him from walmart a couple of months ago and this started yesterday.

Hrmmm. Most members here use API liquid master test kit. Amazon has them for wayyy cheaper than you'll find in town. Its hard to say what's going on without knowing the readings. What other symptoms does he have? How are your other fish?

right now he is just laying on the bottom not moving or eating..the other fish are fine...the first suckerfish that died started this way and then within a few days stuff started growing on him and he developed white spots...we treated for ick but he died anyway...whatever this is seems to only affect our suckfish :/

Ime With ich you will generally see spots before they hit the lethargic stage. What kind of stuff was growing on him? You may have treated for the wrong thing, a lot of times its not the disease that kills the fish, but the treatment instead. Have you changed your filter media recently? Anything you've done different recently? Sorry for the 21 questions but its hard to say what could be going on without those test readings. Does this pleco have white spots?

However if your cycle crashed somehow you would probably see symptoms in your angel before anyone else

How old is the tank?

You can get the API master kit at Kensfish.com for less than $18.

How have you been acclimating your plecos to your tank?

It really is important to know your readings. You should take water samples to the fish store to have them do it for you (as long as they use liquid test). Make sure they give you the exact numbers, then come back and let us know what they are.

Back
Top Bottom