Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2015, 10:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rainbow darters

Hey guys, just got back from creek stomping, and caught these two colorful little guys. I'm putting them in my CPD and Pygmy Cory tank.

Sent via echolocation

Old 09-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It won't let me post pictures for some reason

Sent via echolocation

Old 09-13-2015, 11:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice! Lucky that you have some up there. I don't know of any small native fish here in NC, plus I don't live near any stream/river that would have them. They are cool though, hope they are easy to keep for you!
(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

There appears to be an issue with uploading (and possibly viewing) images. It has been reported to the appropriate folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-14-2015, 12:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hope it clears up soon. And I found out that these guys won't accept flakes at all. But they gladly take black worms, lucky for me I had the remnants of a culture left, they devoured that thing like a pack of wolves. They are doing really well, they readily aclimated to my water conditions. I put in a bubbler to my tank, as the powerhead I had, would've blown the CPDs against the tank wall and killed them, had it happen before, but they seem to be doing really well.

Sent via echolocation
Old 09-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright, I looked in the tank this morning, and the rainbows were sitting their "showing off" to me, lol, they sat there flashing all their fins, showing off their beautiful finnage, I really wish I could post pics for you guys to see, these guys are absolutely stunning!

Sent via echolocation
Old 09-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I think the CPDs and darters come from different habitats (different continents, of course). Meaning, the darters will probably enjoy cooler temps and higher flow rates than the CPDs.
Can you describe the place where the darters were collected? River? Stream? Water depth? Clarity? Current? Sand, gravel, rocky, silty bottom? Just curious. Long ago I collected some Johnny Darters along a shallow offshoot of a river. Less than a foot deep, sandy with some current. They enjoyed live brine shrimp. They did not survive more than a month. Probably too little current, poor water conditions and inadequate diet.
Sounds like you have some colorful specimens.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rainbow darters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
I think the CPDs and darters come from different habitats (different continents, of course). Meaning, the darters will probably enjoy cooler temps and higher flow rates than the CPDs.
Can you describe the place where the darters were collected? River? Stream? Water depth? Clarity? Current? Sand, gravel, rocky, silty bottom? Just curious. Long ago I collected some Johnny Darters along a shallow offshoot of a river. Less than a foot deep, sandy with some current. They enjoyed live brine shrimp. They did not survive more than a month. Probably too little current, poor water conditions and inadequate diet.
Sounds like you have some colorful specimens.

I got mine in a local creek, in a Local park that I work at, they were in a stream with a gravel bottom and it was mixed with sand, it was only about 6-7 inches deep, the water was crystal clear. The tank in my room has no heater and the house is kept at the low 70s but the CPDs seem to be doing rather well, and I was looking and the darters like temps between the low 60s to the low 70s and the temps barely overlap, but that is where I'm going to keep the temp so both species can live. But if it becomes a problem, then I might move the CPDs to the 10 where my occie pair is, as the pair is being moved into my 55

Sent via echolocation
Old 09-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might want to invest in some frozen blood worms and start a red wiggler colony for fish food.

Mine will eat freeze dried blood worms in a pinch.

They do well on frozen blood worms, and got absolutely stout when they were fed red wigglers I started growing in compost for fish food.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudraker View Post
You might want to invest in some frozen blood worms and start a red wiggler colony for fish food.

Mine will eat freeze dried blood worms in a pinch.

They do well on frozen blood worms, and got absolutely stout when they were fed red wigglers I started growing in compost for fish food.

Last night I bought two packs of hikari frozen blood worms. I'm going to feed the frozen block tonight and see if they take it. If not I'll feed them more black worms

Sent via echolocation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com