Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

rainbow shark

I came home to find out a rainbow shark had been bought for me as an early bday gift and was wondering if it will do ok with my 2 African dwarf frogs 1male 1female 2 ghost shrimp 2 platies 3 guppies 2 Cory cats 1 neon green tetra.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would watch the shrimp in your tank. They could disappear as the Rainbow gets bigger. I've got about 6 in my tank and they love to eat shrimp. If you have another tank to put the Rainbow in I would highly suggest you do that.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think they need pretty big tanks.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
I came home to find out a rainbow shark had been bought for me as an early bday gift and was wondering if it will do ok with my 2 African dwarf frogs 1male 1female 2 ghost shrimp 2 platies 3 guppies 2 Cory cats 1 neon green tetra.
If its 55 gallons or bigger! And your stock needs some work as well so depending on the size you need to add at least2 more Cory's and 4 more neons. What size?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

55 gallon tank is plants big enough for that fish. Ive got the same sized tank and it looks bare with the 6 of the 3 redtail sharks, 3 cherry barbs, 2 catfish, banded leporinus, small algae eater, and a rosy barb. There's plenty of room for it to swim in that tank.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I currently have a ten but all my fish except my two platies and shark are under an inch currently platies are about 1¼ inch and shark is 2 inches. I know I'm getting a 55 gallon today or Friday but I am unaware the condition all I was told is its over ran with algae. I can get a clean 30gallon full setup with stand decorations and everything ready Togo if that will work. I live in an apartment on the third floor and I'm not sure about hooking the 55 up till I move to a house later this year since I have a 19 month old lil girl I'm worried she might accidentally break or crack it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Definitely take the 30 gallon. That's plenty of room for every fish that you have. Save the 55 gallon mess for somebody else. Lol
Old 02-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok so I went to pick up the tank and decided to wait being I only own a 93 Camaro. Its being dropped off today round noon. It's a 29 gallon I'm guessing long cause its 30 inches. I'm going to clean it with hot water really good before setting it up. I bout a aqueon quietflow 30 yesterday at petsmart for 25 and going to get a heater today. Any suggestions on setting it up should I take water from my 10 gallon. I'm planning on letting it run till Saturday before moving my fish.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would get yourself another one of those filters in case you want more fish than it can handle. Putting in some of the water from your other tank isn't a bad idea but I would give your new tank more time than a week cuz you'll end up killing your fish. I took the advise from PetSmart and ended up killing some of my fish. Put a 250 watt heater in it to keep you temp the same.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok thank you for the advice and how long would you suggest waiting before switching them over?

Tags
rainbow shark, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com