rainbow shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I came home to find out a rainbow shark had been bought for me as an early bday gift and was wondering if it will do ok with my 2 African dwarf frogs 1male 1female 2 ghost shrimp 2 platies 3 guppies 2 Cory cats 1 neon green tetra.

I would watch the shrimp in your tank. They could disappear as the Rainbow gets bigger. I've got about 6 in my tank and they love to eat shrimp. If you have another tank to put the Rainbow in I would highly suggest you do that.

I came home to find out a rainbow shark had been bought for me as an early bday gift and was wondering if it will do ok with my 2 African dwarf frogs 1male 1female 2 ghost shrimp 2 platies 3 guppies 2 Cory cats 1 neon green tetra.

If its 55 gallons or bigger! And your stock needs some work as well so depending on the size you need to add at least2 more Cory's and 4 more neons. What size?

55 gallon tank is plants big enough for that fish. Ive got the same sized tank and it looks bare with the 6 of the 3 redtail sharks, 3 cherry barbs, 2 catfish, banded leporinus, small algae eater, and a rosy barb. There's plenty of room for it to swim in that tank.

I currently have a ten but all my fish except my two platies and shark are under an inch currently platies are about 1¼ inch and shark is 2 inches. I know I'm getting a 55 gallon today or Friday but I am unaware the condition all I was told is its over ran with algae. I can get a clean 30gallon full setup with stand decorations and everything ready Togo if that will work. I live in an apartment on the third floor and I'm not sure about hooking the 55 up till I move to a house later this year since I have a 19 month old lil girl I'm worried she might accidentally break or crack it.

Definitely take the 30 gallon. That's plenty of room for every fish that you have. Save the 55 gallon mess for somebody else. Lol

Ok so I went to pick up the tank and decided to wait being I only own a 93 Camaro. Its being dropped off today round noon. It's a 29 gallon I'm guessing long cause its 30 inches. I'm going to clean it with hot water really good before setting it up. I bout a aqueon quietflow 30 yesterday at petsmart for 25 and going to get a heater today. Any suggestions on setting it up should I take water from my 10 gallon. I'm planning on letting it run till Saturday before moving my fish.

I would get yourself another one of those filters in case you want more fish than it can handle. Putting in some of the water from your other tank isn't a bad idea but I would give your new tank more time than a week cuz you'll end up killing your fish. I took the advise from PetSmart and ended up killing some of my fish. Put a 250 watt heater in it to keep you temp the same.

Ok thank you for the advice and how long would you suggest waiting before switching them over?

I'd set it up 3 weeks from the day you fill it up. That let's everything cycle. I'd also do some water changes during that time also. Whatever PetSmart says ignore most of it. If there's any question everyone on he will help you more than they will. Also do your normal tests in that time too. Use the API master test kit. Don't use the strips please.

Sorry about that. I didn't realize I told you to get a 250. I won't make any more mistakes like that again.

Yes it was but I could've had you cooking your poor fish. Lol. I'm glad you caught that though

Ok thank you. so ill go get a 150 Watt heater tonight. I just received my master test kit today and do not have any strips left I only had four so wont be getting those again. I'm filling it tonight round 9. I have a question about high nitrite and nitrate I tested my 10 gallon that I'm bout to move everyone from and the levels are HIGH. Its been going since the Jan 21 fish added 22 levels was high on ammonia did a water change everything was fine till three days ago. Testing again tonight with master kit instead of strips.

The strips are very inaccurate and can cause fatal mistakes. Are you using any Prime? That usually takes that problem away. It also can be that you're over feeding your fish too. I would also test your tap what if your levels are through the roof like mine were. I was in the red on my tests. If it doesn't go down in a day then get filter that's for lowering nitrates. There's also a bag that you put in you filter if you wish to do that.

Ok thank you I will test everything tomorrow I did get the tank set up and I am attaching pics I'm planing on buying a few more decorations this is wamhat came with it. The bubble stone I had with a little 5-15 gallon pump so ill be getting a bigger one. I bought the led quietflow 30 filter. I also had to by new T12 bulb and glass good. I'm going to get a heater tomorrow along with a bigger gravel vacuum. In all I spent 35 for the tank/stand, rock, decorations, and light fixture. Then another 25 for filter, 20 for new glass hood, 8 for a new light bulb, had the led and power supply. So another 45 and I'll have everything. Was this a good deal?
Custom blue led (moonlight)
ForumRunner_20130207_010416.jpg

T12 WITH LED
ForumRunner_20130207_010341.jpg

Just T12
ForumRunner_20130207_010416.jpg

ForumRunner_20130207_010458.jpg

I am also getting some javamoss a lfs here sells it on rock for cheap.

Dude that's freaking awesome price for the whole set up. I had gotten a tank, stand, decor, filter and heater for 75 at a yard sale last summer. It was a 30 gallon and I had to upgrade to a 55 simply cuz PetSmart failed to tell me that one of my fish would outgrow that size tank. So if you ever need advice just post your questions and pictures on here cuz you'll get the right answer really fast. Looks like to me you're on your way to a new happy home for your fish. Good luck with everything.

Back
Top Bottom