Rainbow shark tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, I recently had a rainbow shark in my ten gallon (bad LFS advice given to me as a newbie) and it died recently. (cat picked it out of the tank... Very sad) I really liked it and would like to get another one. After lots of research I learned that my ten gallon is too small for one, and was looking at a thirty gallon, 12w, 30l, and 18h. Would this be large enough? Can I go any smaller? This is the one question I can never seem to find an answer to, and it's really frustrating because I get twelve different answers no matter where I look.

A thirty gallon wouldnt have a big enough footprint to hold a Rainbow, it needs at least a 55 gallon to claim territory of its own. Ive once had a Rainbow in a 30 gallon, but sadly, once reaching the length of 3 inches, it started attacking the fish.

Just wanted to back up that this fish gets very aggressive overnight, like a stroppy teenager reaching maturity. Big tank and lookout for it's tankmates...

But the one that I had in my ten gallon was so friendly! He had his cave, and as long as my other fish stayed out of it, he was fine! He was like, the leader of the tank I guess, and never showed any signs of aggression. Are there any I guess, sharks, or other show fish that would be ok in a thirty gallon? Or even a ten or twenty?

Most the sharks that are out the (FW in general) need bigger tanks, a 30 gallon would not due. The shark you had in the 10 was probably young, not really aggressive until reaching 2-3 inches, then they start getting aggressive.

What kind of fish are you looking for?

I'd like kind of a show piece fish, something that will stay pretty small, and wont be aggressive. Any ideas?

For a 30, you could consider a Pearl gourami, they are great looking fish. The 10, you could look at some kind of Special breed guppy, some can be really cool looking IMO.

But the one that I had in my ten gallon was so friendly! He had his cave, and as long as my other fish stayed out of it, he was fine! He was like, the leader of the tank I guess, and never showed any signs of aggression. Are there any I guess, sharks, or other show fish that would be ok in a thirty gallon? Or even a ten or twenty?

Mine was awesome too, until he started trying to headbutt my other fish in the gills and killing them. ;) Until that day he was non-aggressive.

I'd like kind of a show piece fish, something that will stay pretty small, and wont be aggressive. Any ideas?

For a 10 gallon I'm not really sure. ONE betta fish would do great in a ten gallon (two they would kill each other). You can get some absolutely stunning Bettas.

Then to go with him you could get some really nice cleanup fish like Corydoras or Otos.

I was looking at some orange or green laser cories for my ten gallon, and I would move them when I upgrade tanks. Do chichlids work well in a thirty gallon? Or do they need bigger?

That heavily depends on the Cichlid. I have Convict Cichlids in a 20 gallon long as I'm waiting for them to pair off, and when they do I HAVE to remove the rest because they will be killed by the pair while they protect their babies.

You might want to start a new thread in the convict specific forum.

I was looking at the demansons chichlid... But they look to be super aggressive... And since I'd like a community tank, I'm not sure. What would you guys usually stock a 10-30 gallon with?

Yeah, from what I understand with a lot of Cichlids you can have a community, but it can only contain certain Cichlids. And those fish will compete over space in the tank like they would in the wild. You can't have many communities where it's Cichlids with non Cichlids (for African). Some South American cichlids are obviously different and can be, but the tank would maybe be too small for them. I actually think Angels are even considered south american cichlids...

I'd use it as a Tiger Barb species tank (a tank with just one type of fish in it). But that's me... I don't know that you would like them. Maybe watch the videos on the link below.
Fish I've kept: Tiger Barbs

I really, really miss them now. I sold them to a local LFS a while back.

They look cool! but after looking at some stuff online, I'm thinking about doing five or six black skirts tetras, 2 orange laser cories, and maybe a German blue ram, or a keyhole cichlid to start off. Does this sound alright?

I've never kept any of those. I try to only ever give advice on fish I have some kind of experience with... Sorry... :)

That's cool. I'd rather have someone not tell me anything then say a bunch of false stuff that will just make me confused. And I started the cichlid post, so I'll see what comes. You've all been really helpful, so thanks, and I'm always open for suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom