Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #1

Rainbow shark tank size?

Hey, I recently had a rainbow shark in my ten gallon (bad LFS advice given to me as a newbie) and it died recently. (cat picked it out of the tank... Very sad) I really liked it and would like to get another one. After lots of research I learned that my ten gallon is too small for one, and was looking at a thirty gallon, 12w, 30l, and 18h. Would this be large enough? Can I go any smaller? This is the one question I can never seem to find an answer to, and it's really frustrating because I get twelve different answers no matter where I look.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

no you need 50 gal minimum

Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #3

A thirty gallon wouldnt have a big enough footprint to hold a Rainbow, it needs at least a 55 gallon to claim territory of its own. Ive once had a Rainbow in a 30 gallon, but sadly, once reaching the length of 3 inches, it started attacking the fish.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just wanted to back up that this fish gets very aggressive overnight, like a stroppy teenager reaching maturity. Big tank and lookout for it's tankmates...
Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #5

But the one that I had in my ten gallon was so friendly! He had his cave, and as long as my other fish stayed out of it, he was fine! He was like, the leader of the tank I guess, and never showed any signs of aggression. Are there any I guess, sharks, or other show fish that would be ok in a thirty gallon? Or even a ten or twenty?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #6

Most the sharks that are out the (FW in general) need bigger tanks, a 30 gallon would not due. The shark you had in the 10 was probably young, not really aggressive until reaching 2-3 inches, then they start getting aggressive.

What kind of fish are you looking for?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #7

I'd like kind of a show piece fish, something that will stay pretty small, and wont be aggressive. Any ideas?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #8

For a 30, you could consider a Pearl gourami, they are great looking fish. The 10, you could look at some kind of Special breed guppy, some can be really cool looking IMO.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
But the one that I had in my ten gallon was so friendly! He had his cave, and as long as my other fish stayed out of it, he was fine! He was like, the leader of the tank I guess, and never showed any signs of aggression. Are there any I guess, sharks, or other show fish that would be ok in a thirty gallon? Or even a ten or twenty?
Mine was awesome too, until he started trying to headbutt my other fish in the gills and killing them. Until that day he was non-aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
I'd like kind of a show piece fish, something that will stay pretty small, and wont be aggressive. Any ideas?
For a 10 gallon I'm not really sure. ONE betta fish would do great in a ten gallon (two they would kill each other). You can get some absolutely stunning Bettas.

Then to go with him you could get some really nice cleanup fish like Corydoras or Otos.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #10

I was looking at some orange or green laser cories for my ten gallon, and I would move them when I upgrade tanks. Do chichlids work well in a thirty gallon? Or do they need bigger?

Tags
rainbow shark, shark, tan, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com