Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

reaching the limit?

I currently have 6 neon tetras, 2 cory catfish, 2 white clouds, 2 black skirt tetras & 2 zebra danios. I'm planning on getting 3 more of the black skirts & 3 more of the danios because I just found out they do better in larger #'s - would like to get 3-4 more fish after that and wondered if I can just choose from the other "community" fish available at the store and be safe?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

what size tank? all of those fish are schoolers so groups of 5+ are best but you seem to know that, good job on research/prior knowledge!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a 46 gallon tank - once my schooling fish have more buddies I would like to add a few more that can be singletons - I assume I have enough space as long as the new fish dont get very big.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can add the fish you listed without a problem. I'd go with larger schools rather than more species.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah those are all fairly small fish besides the skirts, and cories stay at the bottom.

besides maybe a pair of gouramis (assuming you aren't overstocked after making all the schools), i'm not sure of a lot of 'singleton' fish for a community, it contradicts the name lol.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree with Big Jim...I would definitely recommend adding to the schools you currently have before thinking of adding any other species of fish. IME, zebra danios are more comfortable with company, however I've *never* seen mine swim together as a group. They spend their day chasing each other in all levels of the tank. That being said, I'd still recommend adding at least two. The Black skirts on the other hand often school beautifully together and keeping them in large groups cuts down on aggression and fin nipping. I'd highly recommend adding at least five more of those. I have a group of 7 in my 37 gal and they are very peaceful and happy. Your corys will also be happy with more tankmates. I'd consider adding 1-2 more of those as well.

Check out my 50 Gallon Build
Coleallensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Rams are a possibility as singletons, but yeah I would bump up the schools first, especially the cories. But I do have a mixture of Dwarf cichlids in my community with no problems at all. Severum Mama sells some great apistogramma cacatoudes (sp?) which I have 2 of in my community tank along with a GBR, a powder blue ram, and a bolivian ram. Oh, and 2 Kribs.
redfisher1139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

After reading everyone's responses and after some changes in my tank population due to ich and other illnesses : ( I've decided to go with a few more corys, a group of cherry barbs and maybe another school of small tetras (like glowlights). But first I'm waiting to make sure ich is all gone so I can put a sponge filter into my main tank & get it ready to put into a QT tank. I'm now at the point where I'm just itching to add more fish to my tank but I am being cautious now.

Tags
chi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com