Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldnt advise it unless for breeding purposes but even then its possible for them to breed with a tank divider.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #52
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon View Post
I don't know what the small size has to do with nobody wanting one other than you don't know what the final colorations or patterns will be. But I think that's cool bc you get to watch it change. I don't see how that post was relevant at all
In a previous post, someone said they were expensive. The fish at auction were going at a buck or 2. The seller lost money on them. He also lost money on the beautiful bettas he imported, that went for $1. The local Big Al's will no longer sell them, as people want to bring them back when they get big and nasty.
My personal opinion isn't really relevant here. I don't like hybrids, especially frankenfish.
However, when I hear that since the bottom fell out of the market for FHs the Singapore breeders dumped a lot of them in the local waters where they are decimating native species such as chocolate gourami, I am disturbed.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD

In a previous post, someone said they were expensive. The fish at auction were going at a buck or 2. The seller lost money on them. He also lost money on the beautiful bettas he imported, that went for $1. The local Big Al's will no longer sell them, as people want to bring them back when they get big and nasty.
My personal opinion isn't really relevant here. I don't like hybrids, especially frankenfish.
However, when I hear that since the bottom fell out of the market for FHs the Singapore breeders dumped a lot of them in the local waters where they are decimating native species such as chocolate gourami, I am disturbed.
Ive seen flowerhorns that were goin for $2000.00 it all depends on the breed, markings, size, thickness, kok, colors, and flowers. Just because you wouldnt pay that much for it dosent mean someone else wont.. I strongly suggest if you wanna talk flowerhorn do your research first.. If you wanna ask a question because you need help, i have no problem helping. Otherwise your input dosent belong here.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Maybe in your meta they are unpopular but in asian countries and in some circles they are. I personally don't have any issue with flowerhorns as long as they aren't abused. The cross breeding of fish happens all the time. We seem to shrug it off when dogs are cross bred (as they have been for centuries) for a certain trait but when "helpless" fish have been manipulated with it's bad? If the fish hybridized successfully and produced offspring, then the parents MUST have been genetically similar in the first place. In other words coercion wasn't even necessary. Think about all the african cichlids we have too. A good portion of them are all hybrids.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha.....I'm pretty sure every single dog breed is a hybrid...descended from dingos and wolves
Old 08-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #56
AA Team Emeritus

Actually, all the various breeds ofdogs are the same species so they aren't hybrids, and yes hybrids occur in the wild. However, the frankenfish do not occur in the wild, and are artificially produced. I too have seen high priced flowerhorns in the Asian stores. Personally, I think you should keep what you like,(and I'm sure we have all seen fish in the shops we can't imagine why someone would want to keep them), but my preference is to keep a species.
As far as whether my input belongs here, it appears that this is a public forum and none of the forum rules are being broken; I will continue to post where I wish.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Actually, all the various breeds ofdogs are the same species so they aren't hybrids, and yes hybrids occur in the wild. However, the frankenfish do not occur in the wild, and are artificially produced. I too have seen high priced flowerhorns in the Asian stores. Personally, I think you should keep what you like,(and I'm sure we have all seen fish in the shops we can't imagine why someone would want to keep them), but my preference is to keep a species.
As far as whether my input belongs here, it appears that this is a public forum and none of the forum rules are being broken; I will continue to post where I wish.
Hahaha. I'm neutral but that was well said
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Biologically speaking the fish are so closely related (genetically) they are functionally the same species. Behaviorally and appearance wise they may not be the same species. But since they're able to hybridize and form viable offspring there's no reason to separate "breeding dogs" and "breeding fish." If you think that breeding pugs which end up having bad health problems and are just (to me) an aesthetic abomination of a dog is better than breeding a fish which is perfectly healthy and strong is wrong then I have no words to say.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #59
AA Team Emeritus

Interesting that you mention Pugs as I feel the same way about them (and had a discussion about just those issues when out walking the dog earlier), and bulldogs too.
If all those genetically different species were functionally the same species we would see all sorts of hybrids in the wild, which we don't. We, in fact, for the most part see the opposite. A couple of hours from me are a few lakes that have 2 unique strains of Lake Trout. One strain occurs naturally in only one or two lakes, and no where else, and the other possibly only in one. In one of these lake is a population of the regular strain of lake trout that populates the entire country, and yet they don't interbreed, even though they are the same species.
I don't have a problem with people keeping flowerhorns, and realize that a lot of people who keep them aren't aquarists, in that they have no interest in other fish. The problem I have is with the instigators in the ornamental trade that use questionable techniques (hormones?) to create abominations, such as the blood parrot, balloon rams, angel rams, and all the other balloon fish, and then take the next step and dye and tattoo them. A flowerhorn at least looks like a fish (sort of). The other issue with hybrids is when they are sold as a species, sometimes unintentionally, and the customer is not getting what they are paying for.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Interesting that you mention Pugs as I feel the same way about them (and had a discussion about just those issues when out walking the dog earlier), and bulldogs too.
If all those genetically different species were functionally the same species we would see all sorts of hybrids in the wild, which we don't. We, in fact, for the most part see the opposite. A couple of hours from me are a few lakes that have 2 unique strains of Lake Trout. One strain occurs naturally in only one or two lakes, and no where else, and the other possibly only in one. In one of these lake is a population of the regular strain of lake trout that populates the entire country, and yet they don't interbreed, even though they are the same species.
I don't have a problem with people keeping flowerhorns, and realize that a lot of people who keep them aren't aquarists, in that they have no interest in other fish. The problem I have is with the instigators in the ornamental trade that use questionable techniques (hormones?) to create abominations, such as the blood parrot, balloon rams, angel rams, and all the other balloon fish, and then take the next step and dye and tattoo them. A flowerhorn at least looks like a fish (sort of). The other issue with hybrids is when they are sold as a species, sometimes unintentionally, and the customer is not getting what they are paying for.
Blood parrots were made by people too!? 0_0

Tags
flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com