Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon View Post
Blood parrots were made by people too!? 0_0
yep,and most of them cant close there mouths

Old 08-31-2011, 12:35 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ohh wow. Well humans really like messing around with nature don't we

Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 AM   #63
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Ohh wow. Well humans really like messing around with nature don't we
Of course, there isn't enough species out there so we have to make our own.

Intentional hybrids are generally frowned upon by most serious aquarist circles.

I don't hate hybrids, I just think they look silly and often extremely deformed, akin to clown puke gravel and bubbling volcanoes. If someone wants a fish with a giant tumor looking bulge on their head, tattooed/dyed bodies or spinal deformities then so be it, it's just not my cup of tea.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:16 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think I disagree with it.

If were going to create an unhealthy animal then I will disagree with it. Such as the dyed fish or spinal deformities you mentioned.

I also don't like to think how species we "create" could be let loose into the wild and the impact that could make on ecosystems.
Of course this happens with species we don't create as well...
Old 08-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #65
come get me tang police!

Quote:
I don't think I disagree with it.

If were going to create an unhealthy animal then I will disagree with it. Such as the dyed fish or spinal deformities you mentioned.

I also don't like to think how species we "create" could be let loose into the wild and the impact that could make on ecosystems.
Of course this happens with species we don't create as well...
Generally mother nature takes care of it, many hybrids are sterile or have other issues, high cull rates, etc.

As far as letting fish loose in the wild, it'd possibly be a problem if it were a predator on the top end of the food chain, but usually hybrids and selective bred fish are much more fragile than their wild counterparts so they don't particularly thrive in a wild environment. I'd possibly argue that some selective bred fish/hybrids have even lost some of their instinct as well, I know that if some of the cichlids I've had were responsible for repopulating the world, they'd be doomed, lol.

One interesting side note, I know that here in FL, the FWC actually stocks our local waterways with hybrid fish regularly.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand everyone's concerns over the hybridization of fish and all. But, I see flowerhorns as an exception. These are fish that in the area that they were originally bred are prized animals. They were bred to have particular characteristics as not only a sign of success and status, but for religious purposes also. I wouldn't imagine anyone releasing them in that area, but this is all my understanding and what I have gathered from FH-specific forums which tend to mostly be Asian members who see the fish as such.

They are not fragile, sterile, or deformed. These fish are very tough guys, being able to survive not so ideal conditions. They reproduce like beasts if you get into breeding them. And also, their intelligence can be mind-blowing. Find someone who has had one of these guys for years and they are almost like a dog. I was won over on my last trip to New Orleans and a guy had his FH on display. He stuck his hand (well cleaned, of course) in the tank and the fish swam up and rubbed all over him. They register attention and interaction that you can't find in many other fish. I have spent hours training him and getting him to interact, which is starting to pay off. They are honestly the dogs of the fish world.

But, this is a fish I feel passionately about. I know people see them as unnecessary. I do agree that nature has produce amazing fish in all shapes and sizes. Nature has done a great job. But, if with a little tweaking, a new species is formed that is not a detriment, I see no issue. I don't agree FHs are on the same level as tattooed fish, there is no pain that is involved. The only pain that a FH will experience is when they are wrongfully purchased by someone as a juvie to be sold when they get big, pretty, and worth a lot of money and they go into depression and heavy aggression.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:51 AM   #67
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, and many of them are also dyed.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:53 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Flowerhorns dyed? If have never heard of that one. What would be the point? There are so many crazy colors anyway.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:58 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, just looked that up. I knew about blood parrots being dyed/tattooed, but not flowerhorns. Apparently it's uncommon, but does happen? That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. I'm losing faith in this hobby.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Yes, and many of them are also dyed.
That's not a very valid argument. Should we not keep guppies, goldfish, mollies, danios? All of these fish are dyed frequently. It happens to ALL popular fish. Not just flower horns.

I see nothing wrong with flowerhorns. I wouldn't want one if I could keep one but as long as the animal itself does not suffer in any way I don't care. And of course it's not natural. Nothing in aquaria is remotely natural, no matter what soap box preachers like to say.

If the fish bred then they bred. No one forced them to. No one did some "Frankensteining" of fish. They were in the same tank. And miraculously viable offspring came about. There is no manipulation in science that could cause them to otherwise produce offspring- They could have bred if they weren't geographically separated.

Again you note two seperate variations of trout. Over time they may become distinct species out of behavior or coloration. But until they become very distinct and can't hybridize they aren't two distinct species. If the trout groups you note were not able to hybridize doesn't that say something about the genetics of the cichlids then? Doesn't that mean by that same definition they are in fact very very close relatives?

African cichlids are just like SA cichlids in that they're all genetically similar and display a giant breadth of variety. The only thing is that SA cichlids are distributed through river systems while africans have been relatively locked in with their relatives for so long they've had the chance to interbreed. There is a HUGE plasticity amongst cichlid species.

Tags
flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com