Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have any of you "serious" fish owners, ever owned a flowerhorn.. Saying goes dont knock it till you tried it. Oh and theres more to them then huge humps on heads

Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #72
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady View Post
Flowerhorns dyed? If have never heard of that one. What would be the point? There are so many crazy colors anyway.
No, sorry, this was a reply to another post way back.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #73
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepe View Post
That's not a very valid argument. Should we not keep guppies, goldfish, mollies, danios? All of these fish are dyed frequently.

Again you note two seperate variations of trout. Over time they may become distinct species out of behavior or coloration. But until they become very distinct and can't hybridize they aren't two distinct species. If the trout groups you note were not able to hybridize doesn't that say something about the genetics of the cichlids then? Doesn't that mean by that same definition they are in fact very very close relatives?

African cichlids are just like SA cichlids in that they're all genetically similar and display a giant breadth of variety. The only thing is that SA cichlids are distributed through river systems while africans have been relatively locked in with their relatives for so long they've had the chance to interbreed. There is a HUGE plasticity amongst cichlid species.
I have yet to see a guppy, goldfish, mollie or danio that has been dyed. Indeed there is no good reason to dye a flowerhorn. My post about dying was with regard to the blood parrot.
As far as the Lake Trout I spoke of, they are a separate strain, of the same species, and they don't interbreed.
As far as distantly unrelated cichlids breeding, many things can be accomplished through the use of hormones, that would never occur in nature. So, even with the huge plasticity of cichlids, hybrids rarely occur in the wild, even when two closely related species share habitat. In the African rift lakes, you have color variations of the same species that don't normally interbreed.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #74
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant329 View Post
Have any of you "serious" fish owners, ever owned a flowerhorn.. Saying goes dont knock it till you tried it. Oh and theres more to them then huge humps on heads
No serious fish keeper I know would own one, so based on my personal experience, the answer would be, no. That is not to say that I will never meet a serious hobbyist who does keep a flowerhorn, but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #75
come get me tang police!

What I meant by the 'serious aquarists' was referring to aquarist clubs and groups, the whole hybrid thing is generally frowned upon. It's usually an ethics argument more than anything.

I don't need to try it to know I don't want to keep one, it's just not interesting to me. I have no desire to have an extremely large tank with a single fish in it, and I'm not a fan of nuchal humps, natural or grossly exaggerated, but if I had to get something similar it'd probably be a trimac.

As far as them having some special personality skills, a lot of cichlids do, hand feeding, petting, tricks, etc is not something that just started with the recent flowerhorn craze. They had to inherit them from somewhere after all.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #76
AA Team Emeritus

Having been a member of an aquarium society for quite a few years now, I have met a lot of people that could be called serious aquarists. Some I would even call expert. Some of these were members of our club, others I met at various other club type functions. The depth of knowledge some of these people possessed was staggering. We all have specific interests within the hobby, and mine doesn't include Flowerhorns or any other of the man made mutants. It also doesn't include Arrowana, goldfish, large predators, pirhanas or snakeheads. What I have seen however, is that flowerhorn keepers rarely have interest in the hobby, beyond flowerhorns. They aren't the only type group like that, perhaps.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #77
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

This thread is now locked.

Closed Thread

Tags
flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com