Red lion flowerhorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flowerhorns are crazy hybrids. Generally, they are made from nine fish. Depending on what you have, you may have more or less and in differing amounts. I thought you did research? That's the most common thing brought up. Lots of people think FHs are not humane, etc. because they are not found naturally.

Uhh. I'm not the person that owns a FH. But that's cool. I don't see what's inhumane about that.

I'm trying to see exactly what, but it's red devil, trimac, three spot, redheaded, midas, red terror. I can't find the site where I originally found all of this.

Uhh. I'm not the person that owns a FH. But that's cool. I don't see what's inhumane about that.

Well, not everyone agrees with hybrids. They are considered to be an Asian fish because that's where they were bred. They are made from all South American fish. It was for certain desired characteristics. They just lucked out with creating a fertile hybrid that ended up being incredibly intelligent. They are great fish, you should consider getting one.

Depends. Because there are so many strains, there are no exact sizes. They can be anywhere from ten to sixteen inches. So, basically a 55g or 75g. Mine will be on of the smaller ones (hopefully), so I'm sticking to a 55g for now.

Well, not everyone agrees with hybrids. They are considered to be an Asian fish because that's where they were bred. They are made from all South American fish. It was for certain desired characteristics. They just lucked out with creating a fertile hybrid that ended up being incredibly intelligent. They are great fish, you should consider getting one.

Some unscrupulous dealers will put mirrors in a tank with a male flowerhorn to get them to ram into them and make their humps bigger.

Yea thats about right they get around the 12" mark, they do better in tanks of about 75 gal and up and are better off housed alone due to there aggressive behavior..

I have the mag float and when i try and clean the tank he attacks it, trying to bite it and ram it with its head.

Some unscrupulous dealers will put mirrors in a tank with a male flowerhorn to get them to ram into them and make their humps bigger.

Woah, never heard of that one. That's just awful...

And yea, mine is just a juvie, not even four inches, so no need to get a 75g just yet. I will if he needs it though. When you get a FH, you start treating it like a baby.

Your so right my kamfa is about 7" and everytime i go up to it he gets all excited like hes happy to see me

At first I wanted an oscar too, one of the rio negro ones. But, I saw Sebastian at the LFS and was in love.

All my pictures are blurry of him and when I first got him. He has a lot more purple on his tips now. You actually influenced me to go get some newer pictures.

Anchovy 006.jpg

I had 2 tiger oscars as much as i liked them IMO i there is no comparison.. You should consider all options before making your decision.. Having a huge tank housed with just one fish dosent work for everyone

Thats a awesome looking thai silk! I thought about getting one in the future

Well, he is a blue titanium. He has the one flower on his tail.

And yea, once you have spent anytime around a FH, you are sold. Their intelligence blows me away. That's why it's so hard to get a picture, he watches the camera, so I can only get head shots, instead of his whole body.

Haha why doesn't he have a hump? Is it because he's young?

And I wouldn't mind having a large tank with just one centerpiece fish. I like the larger fish more too. You can get more attached when they show more personality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom