Red looking snail found in my tank windering around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labidis

Aquarium Advice Activist
It seems my 9 month old tank has had an unsuspected new aquisition.
There is a small living red/orange snail. I only noticed it today ( seems to be after i aquired some new plants a few weeks ago). Should i be worried and remove this slow moving shell.

See picture and advise whether i should remove him.

Ps. I have malaysian trumpets in the tank at the moment too, they appeared out if nowhere aswell at about month 4 of my new tank.

Thanking you in advance, John.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415529952.588514.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415529968.198114.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415529993.089114.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415530013.317203.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, it looks like a red ramshorn snail to me, I keep them in both of my tanks they're good at eating leftovers and decaying plant matter. If you don't over feed you'll be fine. It's up to you whether you want to keep it, i like mine and find them beneficial :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for that
Do u know how big they get.

I also found the attached shortly after my last message. Not sure what this is either.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415538209.034334.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415538147.308143.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415538147.308143.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 124
Thanks for that
Do u know how big they get.

I also found the attached shortly after my last message. Not sure what this is either.
View attachment 255277

That one looks like a pond snail, I don't like them! They can reproduce really quickly if it was me I'd take it out.
My ramshorn stay pretty small, but I know some can grow bigger but not huge so nothing to worry about :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I keep pond snails with no problems of overpopulation any more. They stopped breeding so I have only 3 now. Before I had 20+ I kinda miss them... ?

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Aquarium Advice app

The first is definitely a red Ramshorn. I have about a hundred of them and sell them to my LFS for store credit. One on it's own can reproduce but probably not until it gets a bit bigger than that one looks. I'd keep it, they breed easily but are easily enough removed if you dislike seeing a lot in your tank. The main tank i have them in hasn't been able to grow anything but a little green hair algae for a long long time. They'e good cleaners. The biggest one i've grown had a shell close to an inch in size. Usually they stop growing/ die when they are a little smaller.

The second one is a pond snail as mentioned. I also have some of these that i usually feed to my goldfish.

Seems about 95% of my snails have died off. A combination of skipping fish feeds, and introducing 3 clown loaches, so I'm happy.
Prefer to look at fish than snails !!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom