ribbon eel..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcelle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i purchased a ribbon eel from my lfs a couple days ago and was wondering if he would eat a hermit crab??

With some luck it will. They are very difficult to feed in the home aquarium. You might try some small saltwater fish like damsels or even peppermint shrimp to get it to eat.

I have had my saltwater tank for @ a month and a half and i found a half eatin hermit crab last night.. I havent really tried to feed him yet. The lfs feed him on fri and told me to give him acouple day to get use to my tank before trying to feed him. he seems to be doing good poking his head out of the rocks. he came out last night swimming around the tank , but was hiding again this morning.

If was only half eaten then it was something else. Maybe it is the molt or it just died and the rest of the CUC hasn't found it yet.

What was the LFS feeding it and did you get a chance to see it eat? Did they say only feed once a week? From what I have read on ribbon eels they can be rather difficult to keep long term. There is a lot of information on them but trying to decide what is actually needed for them is difficult except they do need life food usually fish and some shrimp. Trying to wean them off live food is hit or miss as well.

They are nocturnal as well. You will be lucky to see it during the day much.

my lfs told me that the ribbon eel should be feed every couple days to mimic it natural feeding habit cause they do not eat everyday in the wild. I did not get to see it eat ,but i did call back up there the next day to ask someone else and there stories matched he ate 3 dead shrimp . i was thinking about adding some small mollies to my tank or just some small shrimp that would be retally avaliable for him to eat.. but i do have a baby trigger in there to around 3" long he could eat them also so determining if the ribbon eel ate them might be hard unless i visually see the ribbon eel eat them..im goin to attempt to go at this the best i can and have been soaking as much knowledge up from any source i can.. its such an amazing creature and i would hate for it to pass while in my care. so if you know anything or anyone that has any more insite on ribbon eels it would be greatly apperciated !!:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom