RTG Arowana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropical-fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Picked up this Red Tailed Golden Arowana today. He's around 5". His fins are a bit cut up but are showing some good red color already and should heal up nicely in a few weeks.

38871-albums2929-picture48845.jpg

During the time of purchase the shop owner used a scanner to read an ID chip that's placed somewhere inside the fish. Registered me as the owner and gave me the fish's certificate of identity before I left the shop.

At the moment he will only eat small feeder fish. i'll have to get him on to pellets as soon as possible.

During the time of purchase the shop owner used a scanner to read an ID chip that's placed somewhere inside the fish. Registered me as the owner and gave me the fish's certificate of identity before I left the shop.

That is awesome!! I wish every LFS was as responsible as yours!

That is awesome!! I wish every LFS was as responsible as yours!

As Asian Arowanas are on an endangered list it's a requirement for fish farms here to tag and certify all farm raised arowanas. To confirm that the fish is from a farm and not a wild caught fish.

Other fish don't need an ID chip but it would probably be a good idea to tag big fish such as snakeheads and redtailed catfish so as the owner would think twice before dumping these fish into the nearest river once it out grows the tank. As it would be possible to trace the fish back to them.

I didn't realize they were endangered but I'm also not well versed in arowanas. Beautiful fish, I'v just never had a tank large enough for one. So have not researched them well.

I do feel that here in the U.S. A lot of fish store sell arowanas and all fish for that matter, with little or no education to the buyer. Which a lot of times leads to the fish being released in to the wild in ignorance. I wish all large fish were chipped. If people could be held accountable for releasing fish like that. Maybe it would happen less.

Beautiful fish btw!!! Congrats

I do feel that here in the U.S. A lot of fish store sell arowanas and all fish for that matter, with little or no education to the buyer. Which a lot of times leads to the fish being released in to the wild in ignorance. I wish all large fish were chipped. If people could be held accountable for releasing fish like that. Maybe it would happen less.

I couldn't agree more. very well put.

Back
Top Bottom