Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Saltwaterfish.com Order

I placed an order Wednesday night with saltwaterfish.com. I've never ordered from them before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I had ordered from Liveaquaria before a few times.

Here's the play by play:
Outerbox

Styrofoam

I like the smaller box. I'm not sure I've ever seen a small one like this before.

The insides

There was an ice pack which was pretty well thawed out. Lots of butcher paper to insualte the ice pack and keep the bags upright.

Some turbo snails. These were shipped dry which was a surprise for me.
I only ordered two, but they sent three.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

This blacked out bag had a deresa clam in it. It is actually larger than I anticipated and is supposed to be an ORA product. They had free shipping on the order when you bought it.

Little bag chock full of empty hermit crab shells. It was supposed to be 50, but I bet it's at least 100. Anyway, I'm not gonna count 'em.

Long tentacle anemone. You can't see it in the pictures, but the tentacles were a nice green color. This guy looked a lot better than the bubble tip I got from Liveaquaria about two months ago. He also seems to have attached in the tank already. My bubbletip ended up attaching in a spot with no light under and behind the live rock, bleached out, and then disappeared.

The last shot was under a single 24" HO blue bulb. I have to have a little light when working in the tank to see what I'm doing. My lunar lights are in my metal halide fixture which is too big to work around.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks good!!! Glad your order cam in ok.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The clam acclimating.

I tried to use a cup to transfer it and avoid exposure to air, but it actually got a little wedged in the cup, so that effort did NOT go as planned. I ended up having to give the bottom of the cup a good knock to get it out. It seems okay so far and has opened up a little. I'll try to post a pic or two tomorrow if it opens decently under the full lighting.

Here's the snails once in the tank.

They blend in with the rock, but you can see one next to the much larger snail I already had above the bubble coral and another to the right of the bubble coral. I think the third one is obscured by the salt smear.

My only DOA ws the carpenter's wrasse. this was the only fish on the order.

Funny, the camera flash through the water almost makes him look alive. It didn't look this good in person.

My wife was hurrying me out the door to get to an event for my daughter and a football game that we ended up getting to an hour ahead of time. My wife is funny that way. Once we got back from the game, I was able to fully read saltwaterfish.com's refund / credit policy. I had to make a claim within 5 hours of Fedex dropping off for a refund. When I looked at it earlier, I thought it was all credit only. It is credit only for 15 days after arrival. They do require you to submit a photo of the fish out of the bag as well. I guess I'll have to settle for credit his go round.

Saltwaterfish.com's guarantee is one day longer than Liveaquaria's (15 vs. 14 days) and they have a lower price point to qualify for free shipping ($200 vs. $225). Saltwaterfish.com also runs specials where if you but from a certain list of items, you get free shipping. The pricing on the livestock seems to be pretty competitive between the two if you look at bundles. Some things are a little higher, some are a little lower.

Liveaquaria gets the edge on making a claim for deceased livestock however. All you have to do is call, and they will give you a credit or refund (your choice). The quality of the inverts seems to be a little higher at Saltwaterfish.com based on my recent experiences. I can't say about the fish, as I only ordered one from Saltwaterfish.com, and it was DOA, but I don't think it's fair to form an opinion around that. Of course, my last Liveaquaria order all arrived alive, but I lost a PJ cardinal and a pygmy angel in the guarantee period from their order.

I found it odd that Saltwaterfish.com did not provide a packing list. That might seem like no big deal, but I can imagine someone getting shorted on an order bigger than mine and maybe not realizing it until later. I do like that they write onthe bag what it is. Again, not a huge deal, but ti could be useful on a larger order.

I hope you guys find this report useful.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks for going through the trouble of posting every step. I like how they were packaged and Ilike that they tell you whats in each bag.

Sorry about doa, but I guess no one can be perfect.

Let us know how the guarantee thing works, I;m in the market for making another online order one day soon I i'd love to know how their customer service works.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Thanks for going through the trouble of posting every step. I like how they were packaged and Ilike that they tell you whats in each bag.

Sorry about doa, but I guess no one can be perfect.

Let us know how the guarantee thing works, I;m in the market for making another online order one day soon I i'd love to know how their customer service works.
You are correct, no one is perfect, not even me. Just ask my wife!

I was just disappointing since it was the only fish in the order. Also, I've been wanting a wrasse. I got a six-line who got sucked up into the protein skimmer pump about a week ago, and this was his replacement. (I like the flasher / fairy wrasses a lot. The local shops in my area are high, so mailorder is pretty much the only way I can afford anything unless I am travelling. I guess next time in in Virginia Beach I'll do some shopping.

I'll also let everyone know how they honor the guarantee.

In the meantime, here's a shot of the clam in the tank. He's mostly open, but watching him this morning, I've seen him rapidly closing his shell like something's irritating him or picking on him, but nothing else is around him. I guess he's just settling in.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice new goodies! I like the clam!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com