Salvage score

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a surprise: pH 6; Am 0.25; NO2 0; NO3 0. From the existing tank water. Now I'm starting to question my testing standards.

*Gets out API directions*

My ammonia test always looks to be in between 0 and .25. I checked my tap water and get the same reading from it. I've noticed no problems with my fish so I'm assuming/hoping its just an issue with the accuracy of the color chart. I was having issues with my NO3 reading 0 ppm until I reread the directions and realized you're supposed to shake the living (moderator edit) out of the bottle #2 and started getting readings about 30ppm. Also make sure you wait 5 minutes to read the NO3 test.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just keeping them alive at the moment. I haven't started reading about them yet. Are you saying the cichlids shouldn't be kept together? Again, I really didn't want these fish. I just wanted the hood and the light, but he said they'd get flushed if I didn't take them. I'll stop at the LPS tomorrow.

I noted the shake hard directions too. I'm going to test again in a minute and really give it the business.

*Pats self on back, I refrained from profanity twice there.*

No more warnings for me.

I'm just keeping them alive at the moment. I haven't started reading about them yet. Are you saying the cichlids shouldn't be kept together? Again, I really didn't want these fish. I just wanted the hood and the light, but he said they'd get flushed if I didn't take them. I'll stop at the LPS tomorrow.

The African cichlid prefers a much higher pH and a different environment all together so they don't make good tank mates in any case. Red Devils get their name honestly and are very territorial. They're best kept solitary but could have tankmates in a very large tank. I don't know how big they ate now but Red Devils grow very fast and all 3 are going to get very territorial. Do what you can with them for now but moving them into a 30 gallon really isn't going to buy you any substantial amount of time. They need seperated and/or more suitable homes.

I did read the pH range part. I'm confused how the pH could be so low in the existing tank water. The city tap here in Columbus comes out at mid 7. He gave me all his stuff and there was no pH down included. Something seems terribly amiss with that first test.

As soon as I get the gravel out of my garbage disposal I'll test it again.

These fish are a lot of fun to watch. I know why so many people are into these cichlids.

This tank is insane. Here are some rough measurements on these fish that have lived in a 20G tank for over a year with monthly water changes. I'm not saying it's a good, it's just an observation.

Red Devil cichlid 7 inches
African cichlid 5 inches
Long whisker cat 4 inches
Fire mouth cichlid 3.5 inches
2 Cory cats 3 inches

I realized I totally messed up the Nitrate test earlier. I failed to shake bottle 2 before applying. The retest came back at over 80 ppm. I have know idea why they are alive. I'm reading. I'll get up to speed on how to keep this fish. That Red devil is just to cute to get give away. I had plans for a 75G. I'll have to step up that project.

Silly pair surface again, seconds out. . . round 2

No more warnings for me.
:ROFLMAO: (agreed brother T)

Back to business, that's cool for a freebie! There is both good and bad when people quit fish keeping. That tank really polished up good! I know people say read first but I think this is a great way of learning, quickly because it is life threatening, I think the mind absorbs faster. It's hard though reading fact after fact, it gets a bit mind numbing. Good luck, I hope the fish store is understanding! Who knows you way even get some handy fish tokens.

Some fish get used to high nitrate, that's why new purchases often die when added, it is also a good reason why you should bring it down gradual.

Back
Top Bottom