Sapphire rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm giving nature a few more days, I have a tank set up and a sponge that's been cooking since the first spawn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd totally go full grow out with the 5 daily feedings and small daily wc's..these rams must travel;)
Ps- just reread the thread, this tank has seachem flourite substrate?? Floramax is big fat chunky in black from Carib sea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd totally go full grow out with the 5 daily feedings and small daily wc's..these rams must travel;)
Ps- just reread the thread, this tank has seachem flourite substrate?? Floramax is big fat chunky in black from Carib sea

And this crazy diatom like crap that started like wildfire after the substrate change, regardless of 60% changes weekly and co2 http://rs719.pbsrc.com/albums/ww194/gillie_photos/20150327_184619.jpg~320x480

Staghorn?? Lighting and flow?

It's not staghorn, this stuff doesn't attach, it kinda drifts around the tank until it hangs up and I remove it during wc. The flow, lighting and ferts are the same as when there was sand in the tank and I didn't have this junk.

Excess nutrients from a more captive substrate?? Have you hit it with h202?

Excess nutrients from a more captive substrate?? Have you hit it with h202?

That was my first thought but, I have 1 ozelot sword, 7 crypts, 2 dwarf lotus, 3 tiger lotus and some compact hygro so I have a pretty number of heavy root feeders.

I have hit it with h202, but it multiplies so fast I can't tell if it has an effect.

If you're dosing the water column per recommendation? More root tabs less water column ferts would be my vote..

I use mostly root tabs and about 1/8 dosage per week of liquid for the bit of rotala in the tank so there's not too much for ferts in the water column.

Strange.. could be some half dead clado.. that stuff is a pain if it takes hold. Is it only growing on the dw?

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't actually grow on anything, it starts to build up on the substrate and gets broken up by the rams. Then it drifts around the tank until it hangs up on a plant or wood and multiplies there. I have some pieces of marimo balls attached to driftwood, but it's all healthy.

I just separated 6 almost free swimming fry, I'm guessing that's all that is left now. I'm not sure what happened to the others.

So its only about 48 hours from eggs to wigglers? Or did I read this wrong. Also mine laid eggs again yesterday and its the male guarding the eggs. If he leaves the female chases him back to the eggs

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is the second spawn? I've had a few with no free swimmers, no noticeable hatch actually.. female is still young and immature..

So its only about 48 hours from eggs to wigglers? Or did I read this wrong. Also mine laid eggs again yesterday and its the male guarding the eggs. If he leaves the female chases him back to the eggs

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Eggs hatch in 48-72 hours depending on the temp. The warmer the water the faster they hatch, but if it's too warm they develop too fast and the fry have lots of issues with an assortment of deformities, at least that's what I've noticed. I'm going to move the rams to another tank soon and I will be softening the water and seeing how big of a spawn I can get from them.

Have I expressed how ridiculously tiny these guys are? I've seen bigger fry from bettas.

How are the wee ones doing?

How are the wee ones doing?

Either hiding in the java moss or gone. I'm not sure which so I'm still feeding the tank with newly hatched daphnia and changing 10% daily.

Back
Top Bottom