Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

here's a better photo of them out and about. they're a lot less shy than yesterday and they love to swim in and out of my tiki. but perhaps now you more experienced badis keepers are better able to tell the gender of the small one?

another thing i want to address is that they didn't take my daphnia, flakes, or pellets. i have freeze-dried blood worms but i heard that they shouldn't be a staple diet. they're always picking stuff off of various decor, plants, and glass though. are they known to just live off microscopic things?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3082.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	265676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3085.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	265677  

Old 02-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nice pics, and I still think you have a M/F pair. I was doing a lot of browsing and reading last night, males seem to be similarly colored but not all females look the same.

Not to hijack your thread but this is a pic of my two taken last night. There was even some spawning behavior going on-big surprise to me!-so I'm sure I have a pair.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

yes! i think our pairs do look very similar. mine have not exhibited any spawning behavior at the moment though but we will see in time!
Old 02-27-2015, 05:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Is your pair living with anything else?

I haven't actually seen mine eat. There are RCS in the tank, even some shrimplets so I assume they're picking at biofilm. Or maybe tinier shrimplets.

How large are yours?
Old 02-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaM View Post

I haven't actually seen mine eat. There are RCS in the tank, even some shrimplets so I assume they're picking at biofilm. Or maybe tinier shrimplets.

How large are yours?
the male is about 7/8 inches and the other is a little more than half an inch, probably 3/4 inches. they currently live with an inquisitive blue betta. he showed no aggression and each species keeps to his/her own
Old 02-27-2015, 09:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:

How large are yours?
They are little hunters and will chase down little shrimp. When I had mine she would get right up next to the adult female shrimp and make jumping motions towards her, shrimp would do a little ballet dance away and no problems. But I didn't see more than an occasional baby shrimp make it after I had my 2 in the tank. So beware. They ate plenty from what I fed and just liked to hunt as the little predators they are.

Mine each had their own territory in a corner of the tank. But they went all around while hunting - resting they would stay in their corners.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

They certainly are interesting to watch, lots of personality for such a small fish!
Old 02-28-2015, 03:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh I love that tiki face, could you post a full tank shot?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:02 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Oh I love that tiki face, could you post a full tank shot?
here it is! fluvial spec III. nothing too special. my talenthera on the left melted pretty bad. i'm using flourish excel and a liquid fert starting a week ago. brazilian pennyworts behind the tiki grow really fast, and the tiki decor i got from petco.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3091.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	265880  
Old 03-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevLine View Post
here it is! fluvial spec III. nothing too special. my talenthera on the left melted pretty bad. i'm using flourish excel and a liquid fert starting a week ago. brazilian pennyworts behind the tiki grow really fast, and the tiki decor i got from petco.
That's great, the colors really work well, even with your stock

Tags
scarlet badis

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com