Scarlet Badis!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RevLine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Picked up 2 males yesterday! I knew I liked them the moment I saw them. Very curious and beautifully colored.

They are very shy though! I had to take the picture at some distance because they always move away from my camera.

They look more relaxed today so I hope they'll take my hikari daphnia later :D

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424966679.220811.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424966697.520853.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like a m/f pair there. Great little fish.. when they get comfy they'll be out sniping food. Mine has become pretty well adept at picking of baby snails of the floating water lettuce. Very entertaining!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

that would be an awesome occurrence for me to see!

i apologize for my camera quality. the lighting wasn't the best and it was through my phone. the smaller one actually has stripes, but they are very faint. i just assumed it's a small young male yet to get his colors. if it is a striped female that'd be glorious and would definitely help in my consideration to breed these in the future.

Hoping to finally get some for my 2.5 gallon once I either trade my puffer for one or once he checks out.....hopefully not for another few years. Don't get me wrong, he's really cool and I love him, but he is just a huge pain to feed and maintain. Very cool fish, and that is definitely a pair.

Nils

Looks like a m/f pair there. Great little fish.. when they get comfy they'll be out sniping food. Mine has become pretty well adept at picking of baby snails of the floating water lettuce. Very entertaining!

Is it common for them to eat baby snails?

Is it common for them to eat baby snails?

Muhhhdunnoo.. new to me, lil guy eats anything that's alive in the tank and fits in his tiny mouth it's seems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Keep an eye on the "female". One of mine that I thought was female, turned out to be a subdominant male and it did eventually color up.

My true female kept her silver color.

Mine pair look like the OPs and by what I've just been watching in the tank they are definitely M/F :dance: :flowers:

here's a better photo of them out and about. they're a lot less shy than yesterday and they love to swim in and out of my tiki. but perhaps now you more experienced badis keepers are better able to tell the gender of the small one?

another thing i want to address is that they didn't take my daphnia, flakes, or pellets. i have freeze-dried blood worms but i heard that they shouldn't be a staple diet. they're always picking stuff off of various decor, plants, and glass though. are they known to just live off microscopic things?

Attachments

• IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3082.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3085.jpg
    IMG_3085.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 72
Nice pics, and I still think you have a M/F pair. I was doing a lot of browsing and reading last night, males seem to be similarly colored but not all females look the same.

Not to hijack your thread but this is a pic of my two taken last night. There was even some spawning behavior going on-big surprise to me!-so I'm sure I have a pair.

img_3171575_0_36d12e3535b3fe543caf776c9f657d6b.jpg

yes! i think our pairs do look very similar. mine have not exhibited any spawning behavior at the moment though but we will see in time!

Is your pair living with anything else?

I haven't actually seen mine eat. There are RCS in the tank, even some shrimplets so I assume they're picking at biofilm. Or maybe tinier shrimplets.

How large are yours?

I haven't actually seen mine eat. There are RCS in the tank, even some shrimplets so I assume they're picking at biofilm. Or maybe tinier shrimplets.

How large are yours?

the male is about 7/8 inches and the other is a little more than half an inch, probably 3/4 inches. they currently live with an inquisitive blue betta. he showed no aggression and each species keeps to his/her own :D

How large are yours?

They are little hunters and will chase down little shrimp. When I had mine she would get right up next to the adult female shrimp and make jumping motions towards her, shrimp would do a little ballet dance away and no problems. But I didn't see more than an occasional baby shrimp make it after I had my 2 in the tank. So beware. They ate plenty from what I fed and just liked to hunt as the little predators they are.

Mine each had their own territory in a corner of the tank. But they went all around while hunting - resting they would stay in their corners.

They certainly are interesting to watch, lots of personality for such a small fish!

Oh I love that tiki face, could you post a full tank shot?

here it is! fluvial spec III. nothing too special. my talenthera on the left melted pretty bad. i'm using flourish excel and a liquid fert starting a week ago. brazilian pennyworts behind the tiki grow really fast, and the tiki decor i got from petco.

Attachments

• IMG_3091.jpg
    IMG_3091.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 72
here it is! fluvial spec III. nothing too special. my talenthera on the left melted pretty bad. i'm using flourish excel and a liquid fert starting a week ago. brazilian pennyworts behind the tiki grow really fast, and the tiki decor i got from petco.

That's great, the colors really work well, even with your stock

Back
Top Bottom